Quantcast Spots on Pictures

+ Reply to Thread

Default Spots on Pictures

I just got my new Canon Powershot SD800 IS camera and for the most part, I like it a lot. I do have one problem, though. Some of my pictures have these weird clear spots on them. I uploaded an example to show you. Even in daylight, sometimes I get these (ranging from small to large) spots on my pictures. I don't think it is the lens because not all of the pictures are like that. So I was wondering if someone here could help me out?

Also, I was wondering if anyone could help me with a few settings on my camera. I mainly just use it to put the pictures on my computer, once in a while, I'll print out some standard sized photos (4x6). So I was wondering what the best size for my pictures would be? There is L, M1, M2, M3, and S. The larger the picture, does the quality get worse or better? And also do you think I should keep it on the Superfine setting? The files are larger in size but I don't mind if the quality is a lot better.

Sorry for all the questions, thanks so much.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Site Admin

Default Re: Spots on Pictures

Those spots are pretty prominent - are there always that many? Did you use a flash in that shot? If so, it's possible that the flash is illuminating dust in the air - especially in a construction environment.

My personal opinion is to always take pictures at the highest resolution that you camera can do. You never know when you'll get that one picture that you *do* want to print at a larger size or you have a good one that you want to crop and still have enough to print. As far as compression (Superfine, Fine, etc), the Superfine is the best quality since the JPEG is compressed less (less data lost). However, many people can't really tell the difference, especially in a small print like a 4x6. My recommendation is to take a shot at Superfine and one at Fine and compare them. You'll have to zoom in maybe like 400% or more to really see a difference in some details. For example, a curved line will be more "jagged" in a Fine image than in a Superfine image.
    Best Regards,
    Ben

Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi
    Canon Powershot G7
    Pentax Optio W10
    Canon Powershot A95

www.DigitalCameraReview.com | www.Brighthand.com | www.NotebookReview.com | www.SpotStop.com | www.TabletPCReview.com

To me, those spots look like some liquid got onto the lens and dried up. Can you see anything on the lens?

UFG

Those spots are most likely caused by a lot of dust in the air. The light reflects off of them causing them to show up as spots. Because of the difference in distance between them and the actual point of focus (they are close to the lens while the point of focus is the wall in front), they are rendered as discs of light of different transparencies. This is a common "spirit orb" phenomenon in "ghost hunting".
    FaceTheLight.com - Free Online Photography Tips, Tricks, and Tutorials!
    Green Surveys - Get cash for filling out online surveys. | Green Emails - Get paid cash to read emails.

I have no clue as to what may have caused these “spots”, but I am inclined to agree with previous posts that suggest that these are, most likely, due to dust particles in the air.

My suggestion would be to, whenever you encounter something like this, take a lot of pictures in different settings, in various rooms, in various houses, outdoors, indoors, scenery, during the day, at night, with flash, without flash, fast moving pictures, slow moving pictures, you get the drift. Once you have a good collection (and you can do these all in the one day) look at the pictures for consistency. If you see spots, or particles in the same place across all the pictures (or most of them) then that is most likely due to something on the lens or sensor. If the particles don’t show consistency then it is to do with the environment and nothing wrong with the camera, playing around with setting can rid you of that.

So, with this situation, take some pictures outdoors in daylight and at night and look at the results. See if you see the same “spots” in any pattern or not; and please do let us know the outcome (may be if it is not too much bother, you can post the pictures here for us to see).
    I do not intend to tip-toe through life only to arrive safely at death!

Thread Information