Quantcast Tips for using Canon Power Shot SX 130

+ Reply to Thread

Smile Tips for using Canon Power Shot SX 130

I'm a newbe with this camera and would love to hear any tips you might have about using it.

Super Moderator/Reviewer

Default Re: Tips for using Canon Power Shot SX 130

There are two basic ways to become comfortable with your camera.

One is to simply play with it. Try things out and see how they work. Eventually you'll learn the features.

Another way is to thoroughly read the manual. Then, while referring to the manual, try out each feature. Find out what you like and what you don't like.

Whichever way you choose (or a combination of the two), take a lot of pictures. The more you use the camera the more you'll know about its capabilities.
    My Gear:
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 110 HS
    Canon A720IS (retired)

I think you're right. I picked up some pictures today and they didn't turn out the way I thought they were going to.

Thanks for your help.

I have the same camera. I'm no expert but I take a TON of photos and I'll tell you how I've been using it.

First off, if you're new, you are probably shooting in mostly auto mode? I find I have it in SCN mode most of the time. That makes it easy to hit FUNC.SET and switch between the different creative modes.
    I shoot "Super Vivid" most of the time, but if I see a neat shot, i'll quickly switch over to "Color Accent" and stay in black and white (and the chosen color) for a while, before switching back...

Actually, I just returned from walking to the store. I took a color accent photo of some rose pedals on the sidewalk.. I'll show that in a minute..

So, when I'm not in SCN mode or doing some 15 second exposure in TV mode, I have it in video mode and easily switch between creative modes the same way as above. Just hit FUNC.SET, then left or right to scroll through them. The fun one is "Miniature Mode". It does a simulation of a technique called Tilt-Shift. I'll show you that too. It basically cuts the frames per second to speed up the video, X5, X10 or X20, and blurs the top and bottom so that the action in the focal range appears miniaturized. It made my city look like a little toy city

SO those are some basics for now. I hope that helps. Here are a few of the types of photos (and video) you can get with this camera.

Super Vivid

15 second exposure

Color Accent

Mini mode video
    (Click to play)

Very good shots Ray. I just have 2 weeks with my SX130 and still learning the best ways to get good results. Can you tell me if you used IS on or off when taking 15 sec photo? I like long exposure pictures. Have you any good picture of the moon?

Thread Information