Quantcast How to Sharpen & Save RAW as JPG in DPP

+ Reply to Thread

Default How to Sharpen & Save RAW as JPG in DPP

Hello,

I have a Canon T2i and I use DPP for editing. I've been shooting photos in RAW, tweaking them in Digital Photo Professional, and then using the "Convert/Save" button to (hopefully) save my edits of the RAW file in JPG form.

However, I think there's something I'm missing. Based upon my experience so far, it seems my sharpening tweaks aren't making it to the the new JPG file.

I've done some research and I've found some mentions that, in order to save sharpened JPGs from RAW files, one has to first convert to a TIFF, sharpen, and convert to JPG, OR convert from RAW to JPG, sharpen, then convert the JPG to JPG again. The former is an extra step, and the latter involves double conversion in lossy JPG.

1. Is there a way to use DPP to sharpen a RAW file and then directly save these sharpened results in a JPG file using DPPs onboard "Convert/Save" button?

2. If no to the above, what is the best procedure to sharpen RAW files and then make them into JPGs?

3. If I adjust exposure, brightness, or color on a RAW file in DPP, are those changes reflected in the resulting JPG, or is sharpen the only feature that needs a "double conversion", for lack of a better term?

4. Why exactly are RAW files so soft in their native form?

Thanks!

Default Re: How to Sharpen & Save RAW as JPG in DPP

I don't have a specific answer to your method. My method is to apply mild sharpening in RAW, then convert straight to JPG, all using DPP. Now my use of JPGs is online (printing would be a different game), so I know all of my JPGs will end up downsized for the Web. Thus I wait until after that downsizing to finish up with sharpening (often none is needed). I do all of my JPG processing in Adobe's Elements.

Kelly Cook
    Olympus PL2, Canon EOS 50D, Fujifilm F45fd, various film dinosaurs

I don't have DSLR, but I do use DPP for my G9 and G11 RAW files. I tend to use about 9 on the 10 scale for sharpening, actually using the unsharpen option. I usually save as a TIFF, and finish processing in Elements 10 to include possible added sharpening. Here's a shot taken with my G9 (plus the Canon 2x tele conversion lens) from RAW to JPEG, and PP in Elements 10, and some cropping.

RIT G91 by dhc42, on Flickr

Edit: I just realized for this photo I used the original RAW Image Task software that came with the G9.

Here's another RAW conversion using DPP;

G9 010_cr2 by dhc42, on Flickr

Dennis
    Last edited by denncald; 07-26-2012 at 01:19 PM. Reason: add photo

Welcome back Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by KCook View Post
    Welcome back Dennis
    Thanks, I've been spending too much time over at DPR and P.O.T.N. I need a break from the ramped up negativism I'm seeing/reading, esp. on DPR for Canon forum.

Dennis

DPR is good for that! I have to put on my flame retardant undies and body armor before posting there

Thread Information