Quantcast soft photos with 60D - Page 3

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Cool Re: soft photos with 60D

In any of the creative modes (except Manual), you can set both EV compensation and the metering mode. When you switch from a creative mode to Auto, those settings are not applied. Auto mode always fixes its EV compensation on 0 and its metering mode on Evaluative. So either of those settings would constitute a change, even though you didn't touch either setting.

When you switch from Auto to the Av or Tv mode, then EV compensation and metering mode that were last in effect for that mode are restored (no input needed from you). So, for example, if you had last used the Spot metering mode in Av mode, then switched to Auto (which will always use Evaluative), then switch back to Av mode, the Spot mode will be restored.

Which is a long winded way of trying to explain that using Auto mode can impose other changes that you may not be aware of.

Kelly

Default Re: soft photos with 60D

Thanks again. I'll take all the info I can get

Super Moderator/Reviewer

Quote Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
    Those 2 shots were done on a fixed 50 mm lens, one right after the other, with no changes between. I have been wondering if there's something wrong in-camera (I hope not)
    Your auto photo does look pretty bad. Usually auto mode is reliable in most shooting situations. If you frequently get poor results shooting in auto mode your camera may have a problem.
    My Gear:
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 110 HS
    Canon A720IS (retired)

Yeah, it looks like I'll have to get it checked out. Thanks

Well, if you do take the camera in for a check, also have that 50mm on it as well. Most folks shooting a 50mm do not use Auto mode. I don't know why the lens should make any difference, but it may part of the issue.

Kelly

Yes it looks like the camera will go to the shop. Meanwhile it works very well on creative mode, so that's where it will stay.
    Thanks for all your input.

blabla.gif

I have decided to do some pixel peeping on my Canon 60D images and I am happy that I did this. I have discovered that all the images are soft, especially when there are small details like tree leaves. Anyway, I didn't know if it is my lens or the 60D body. I've checked the images of the 18-55mm and found out that they are soft to. There are two options, it might be that the 60D has focusing issues or the lens has focusing issues. It seems more likely that the Canon 60D has bad focusing problems. I have sent the lens to the photo lab from which I've purchased it. I need to get an answer tomorrow.

After I get the lab test results regarding the focusing issues, I will go back to the store which I've bought the Canon 60D camera to see what can be done about it. I am almost positively sure that this is a problem with the camera itself, due to the fact that both my Canon 70-200mm F4L IS and 18-55mm have focusing issues. The L-lens with the 60D suppose to deliver exceptional results and this is not the case. I am not talking about small focusing issues that your eyes might not see, but real focusing issues that make all the images quite soft. The contrast and colors are great though. I am a bit disappointed at the moment, but I am sure that after I take care of this problem, the Canon 60D + 70-200m F4L IS will be a superb combination.

I advice you to check the camera for focusing issues when you buy a new equipment. There might be a front focusing or back focusing issues with lenses. When you minimize the image, you won't see it. Only when you see it in real size, you notice it. Imaging-Resource.com has just posted their Canon EOS 60D review, so might check the review before deciding on buying your first DSLR camera. I think that the 60D is one of the most successful mid-range DSLRs out there. It produced beautiful nature and accurate colors. Tomorrow morning I will check out both photo labs to see if I can solve this problem as fast as possible and start shooting photos again. BTW: the Canon BG-E9 grip is amazing. Build quality is great and it is a very large grip, compared to what I've used on my previous 400Da few years ago.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information