Quantcast EOS Rebel X

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EOS Rebel X

Default EOS Rebel X

Hello, I dont know much about these types of cameras. Or any camera for that matter. My mother has an older Canon EOS Rebel X 35mm SLR. I want to get her a DSLR but without breaking the bank. I want one thats a decent upgrade to that one. How is the T3i??? Also is it true that the lenses for SLR are still transferable to the new DSLR's? Thanks very much!!

Super Moderator/Reviewer

Default Re: EOS Rebel X

The T3i is an excellent DSLR camera and it is fully compatible with Canon EF lenses, which are the lenses your mother probably has. She will be able to use autofocus with the EF lenses as well.
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 330 HS

Smile Re: EOS Rebel X

Andy is right. I just wanted to add that the current 18-55 "kit" zoom for the T3i adds so little to the package price that it is worth getting as part of the purchase. You could buy the T3i body alone, use only the old lenses, but I do not recommend that. As the current lens will be fully compatible with today's TTL flash, but the old lens may not. In any event the current lens is bound to auto focus quicker, and may be quieter.

Kelly Cook
    Olympus PL2, Canon EOS 50D, Fujifilm F45fd, various film dinosaurs

i appreciate both your replies. I would for sure get some lenses but at least she can use the old ones to have some to start with. I was told if shes not going to do any video than maybe look into the t2 what do you guys think? is the price difference worth the t3i if she doesnt do video? shes not a professional by any means. and any money i can save without sacrificing too much quality would be great than maybe i can turn around and get her a lens or something...thanks again!

maybe it was the t2i ? i dont know you guys will know better than me lol
    Last edited by carlos28355; 08-31-2012 at 11:51 PM.

The T2i is nearly as good as the T3i. So this comes down to exactly what the price difference is. I would certainly opt for the T2i with new 18-55 over the T3i as a body only purchase (without lens).

Kelly

Thank you Kelly, just checked on amazon and the prices for a t21 and t31 are basically the same. I see a bundle with the t2 with the 18-55 lens for $694 the t3i with same lens actually $675 so might as well get that one. Been trying to learn about the lens someone said there is a big difference between the EF and the EF-S but it looks like this cameras can do both? can you confirm that for me thanks!

Odd that the prices that that close! Keep digging and you may find better prices for the T2i with some other seller.

EF is "full frame", which is what the old 35mm film cameras were. EF-S is the same mechanical lens mount (so both lenses can be fitted to any EOS Canon), but with the optics designed for the smaller sensor of the Rebel (T2i and T3i) body types. As a practical rule for Canon shoppers, old EF lenses will be cheaper ('cuz they are old), while new EF-S lenses will be cheaper than new EF lenses ('cuz they are slightly smaller). So the EF-S lens that comes with a current Rebel will be fine for the Rebel, but not work well at all with the old 35mm film SLR. Some Canon shoppers refuse to consider EF-S lenses because they are convinced that someday they will promote themselves to the full frame EOS 5D### series, which cannot use a EF-S lens. But the vast majority of Canon Rebel owners never make that jump, so that logic falls flat for them. Likely that was the source of the advice you saw regarding the "big difference" between EF and EF-S. The zoom on my crop sensor Canon happens to be an old EF design, I wish it were a new EF-S, to save a little weight.

Kelly

very good info thanks for explaining it very clearly as well i really do appreciate it. some people in forums can just be rude lol. Ill keep looking around for lower prices I thought it was a little odd the t3i was cheaper than the t2i on amazon. any other online sites that you ever order from? For my wifes bday i think ima get her the 60D that price range is a good one for me and from what i can tell the camera seems to be pretty good and i cant afford the jump to one of the Mark series. she has older rebel/eos SLR as well but shes a little more into than my mother so thats why ima get her the slightly nicer one (=. again thank you thank you thank you this knowledge will help me out greatly

Super Moderator/Reviewer

Probably the reason the T3i is cheaper is that there are more of them available since the stock of T2i's has been depleted. If they are the same price, the T3i is the better buy.

The 60D is an excellent camera but keep in mind that it is considerably more expensive than the T3i, not much better in terms of specs, and significantly larger and heavier.
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 330 HS

thanks andy. Again i dont know much about cameras i was thinking the 60d because it looks like it has faster shutter speed. My wife likes taking pictures of animals and when our kids are in sports or i should say if they are id like a decent camera for that and if the faster shutter speed helps than to me that is worth it..am i correct on the speed difference? also from what i see the pentaprism is better-generally briighter and more robust image but that it does add bulk and cost. i dont mean to hijack my own thread with another camera...sorry forum gods!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information