Quantcast best deal I've seen on a DSLR ever

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default best deal I've seen on a DSLR ever

I bought a Canon Rebel T3 about a week ago. Amazon had them for sale for $400 which was a pretty good price for the camera and a kit lens. I actually bought it at Best Buy though because they matched the price of Amazon and it was right in front of me at the time.

Then I noticed that Best Buy had a combo special going this week. I was looking for a telephoto lens and saw that Best Buy had a Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III lens with the camera and they gave you $150 off the price of the lens if you bought the camera and the lens. Plus they give you a fairly decent bag which costs like $25 at B&H. And the regular price of the lens? $199. So because I had just bought a camera they gave me the lens deal (they match their own prices up until a certain time after you buy). So that had me with $400 in the camera and $50 for the lens plus a $25 bag. The way I see it I got the lens for $25 because I needed a bag anyway.

I know this isn't the best lens in the world. It doesn't have IS so it's strictly a tripod lens but still - $25??? I'll use it until I find a good deal on a better lens. It has more zoom than the Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4.0-5.6 IS II even if it doesn't have IS. Heck I've paid more than $25 for a lens converter and that wasn't exactly a complex piece of equipment with stellar glass.

It's just hard to beat this deal even if you rarely ever use the thing. I figure I can sell it or trade it in or whatever at some point. It's just hard to go wrong with a deal like that.

BTW the deal wasn't available online when I looked. It was a store deal in the Cincinnati area. The best deal I saw on their web site was $100 more than I paid for the same gear except there's no bag in that deal.
    Last edited by Andy Stanton; 12-23-2012 at 08:08 PM. Reason: Deleted advertising link.

Default Re: best deal I've seen on a DSLR ever

It doesn't have IS so it's strictly a tripod lens ...
    Not the case at all. Simply increase the shutter speed to compensate for the greater focal length. More info -

Using Telephoto Lenses

Kelly
    Olympus PL2, Canon EOS 50D, Fujifilm F45fd, various film dinosaurs

Yeah I know it can be done but it's still better using IS. You have a lot more options and a lot easier. To increase the shutter speed the aperture has to be opened up more and the lens is up against it pretty quick unless the light is really good. But you're right that it's not a total case of "forget it" when I want a long shot from a handheld position. I can increase the ISO too of course but that increases noise too. And there's the consideration of the DOF. If I want a deep DOF I'm probably going to want a tripod and I don't really care that much for shallow DOF shots (yeah I guess I'm about the only one).

But the website you linked to certainly had some info I didn't know like the stuff about the relative size of objects. I'm not exactly a pro at this stuff, not by any means, so I appreciate all the help I can get. So thanks.

Noise from higher ISO is far, far easier to fix in post processing than blur due to a low shutter speed. Don't fear high ISO, it can save your bacon.

Kelly

Yeah I've already been using high ISO on some photos with this new camera and I've only had it a week. It's not too bad up to about 3200 but it gets a little bad higher than that. But like you say it's easy enough to get rid of some of that noise with a good filter in post production. I mainly use it for low light situations where my flash won't be strong enough to make a difference. I wish I could get my slave flash to work really. I suppose there's probably some way to compensate for the extra light in the image by using all manual settings. Letting the camera do the figuring for exposure and using a slave flash usually doesn't work too well. I could probably work it out to make it right but it would take some practice. I have a 100 foot flash I could use at times if I could work out how to make it work.

Into section to the encyclopedia of flash photography -

http://neilvn.com/tangents/new-to-fl...to-even-start/

That's another excellent source of information. It appears that they take my approach to learning lighting, which is to just jump in and start trying things until something works right. Obviously I've learned some things over the years but every camera is different especially when we're talking about moving up a level of quality. It's like starting all over again. I like my 100 foot flash because I can take it with me and use it on indoor sporting eventss and the like. It works when it isn't possible to set up a light kit or even a slave flash setup. I used that flash and a "L" bracket. I'd like to be able to use it again for similar situations but I'm sure it will take some time to work out the exposure settings.

I do appreciate the help for sure. There's a ton of good info on the sites you have gave me the links for. Most of my study has been concerned with video in the past 5 years or so. It's good to get back to my roots with still photography and I need all the help I can get. So again, thanks and Merry Christmas.

The fun really starts when you get a radio trigger for your speedlight. Then you ditch the old L-bracket, hold or put the speedlight anyway, anywhere you want. And for manual flash (not TTL), the cheap radio triggers are Ok.

Kelly

I suppose I'll end up with a speedlite before too long. There are just too many advantages to ignore. If you're in a hurry to get a shot it's just not possible to set up the light kit and ask everyone to please wait while I take a photo. It just isn't cheap to get one that has 100 ft. range though. It may be a while. Until then I still remember how to do it the hard way.
    Last edited by Jeff56; 12-27-2012 at 01:31 AM.

My Yongnuo YN465 will just barely reach 100'. But my new 150WS monolight spanks it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information