Quantcast User views of Canon SX50, considering buying.

+ Reply to Thread

Default User views of Canon SX50, considering buying.

I am considering on buying either a Canon SX50 or Panasonic FZ150/200 in a month or so. I will have around 500 dollars and want the best quality camera for the price. I've read some good to excellent reviews on the camera, however the 1200mm lens is not that important, what is to me is getting decent to good video and photo's indoors for Point and Shoot quality cameras. I'm more into capturing my two young daughters on video before they grow much older, haven't had any good ones for a long time. I'm also into wildlife photo's, scenic photo's and landscapes....also like close up photo's. Since I work at Walmart and get a 10% discount thought it wouldn't hurt to give it a shot for 30 days, what do you all think.

Default Re: User views of Canon SX50, considering buying.

That type of camera is very versatile, especially for video and for wildlife in daylight. Indoors can be the problem area. My indoor solution is to add light, either external flash or cheap studio lighting. The more popular indoor solution is to get an advanced compact with a fast lens. All depends on how much you want to learn about photographic technique, and how important quality results are to you. There is no "one size fits all" solution.

Kelly Cook
    Olympus PL2, Canon EOS 50D, Fujifilm F45fd, various film dinosaurs

Quote Originally Posted by KCook View Post
    That type of camera is very versatile, especially for video and for wildlife in daylight. Indoors can be the problem area. My indoor solution is to add light, either external flash or cheap studio lighting. The more popular indoor solution is to get an advanced compact with a fast lens. All depends on how much you want to learn about photographic technique, and how important quality results are to you. There is no "one size fits all" solution.

Kelly Cook
    Ya, that is my concern about not getting the Panasonic FZ200 which has a 2.8 all over lens.

Super Moderator/Reviewer

For $500 you can afford a DSLR (the Nikon D3100 or Canon Rebel T3) which will give you much better image quality than the Canon SX50 or Panasonic FZ150/200. Though the DSLR's come with a 3x zoom lens, you can purchase a long zoom lens later on if you feel the need. The Nikon D3100 and Rebel T3 also have Auto modes and movie modes, similar to non-DSLR's.
    [COLOR="Blue"]My Gear:
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 330 HS

Thread Information