Quantcast Newbe here with my questions

+ Reply to Thread

Default Newbe here with my questions

Greetings everyone. The last camera I bought was 30 + years ago. It is a Cannon Ae1 35 mm. I have an assortment of lens that I use with it.
    1) I want to take photos outdoors what camera would you suggest I buy and why?
    2) Will I be able to use my assortment of lens on a new digital camera body?

My other hobby is metal detecting and I would like to photo some of the areas that I explore. I don't know the first thing about using digital cameras. I have never even picked one up just to look at.
    I would appreciate any and all suggestions.
    Thanks
    Rodney

Default Re: Newbe here with my questions

The old Canon FD mount lenses will not fit any current digital camera directly, not even any by Canon. But they can be used, with adapters, on the new "mirrorless" type cameras. Mirrorless brands include Canon, Olympus, Panasonic, and Sony. With such adapters, the lens can only be used as a "manual" device. So the usual auto functions, auto-focus, auto-exposure, auto-flash are lost. But yes, the old lens can still take good pictures, just means more fussing to get that result. Links to lots more info on these adapters -

A How-To Guide to using Adapted Lenses - Micro Four Thirds User Forum

Which camera for my old Konicas and Canon FDs? - Photo.net Mirrorless Digital Cameras Forum

Rangefinderforum.com - View Single Post - Canon 50mm FD on Nex 5N

easiest to use "old" lenses + adapter: Micro Four Thirds Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Kelly Cook
    Olympus PL2, Canon EOS 50D, Fujifilm F45fd, various film dinosaurs

Thanks for the advice

Super Moderator/Reviewer

I understand the FD to EF adapter isn't great. You'd be better off to start over.

You'll find digital photography to be much easier than film photography for many reasons. You can take hundreds or even thousands of pictures in one session with your only concern being your battery life. Also you have many options available to you in camera plus an extensive set of editing options once your pictures are downloaded to your computer.

You can buy a decent digital camera for as little as $150 that will take good looking pictures of outdoor scenes. Better cameras will cost more. Digital SLR's are larger and take better pictures than other digital cameras but are more expensive, starting at about $500 for a camera and basic zoom lens.
    My Gear:
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 110 HS
    Canon A720IS (retired)

Andy: Thank you for sharing your knowledge with me. I guess it would be simplier for me to just buy a good digital camera. One that does it all automaticly. One that doesn't eat up batteries fast. One that will be good for outdoor use. Got any suggestions?
    Now what do I do with my old Cannon AE1 and lens? Any places that might take a trade in?

Almost all digital cameras are decent for the market they were intended for. Some of the first things to decide are how much you are comfortable spending on the camera (plus lenses?), largest size you are Ok with lugging about, and maximum image quality really needed. Links to lots more thoughts on the different camera types -

Digital Camera Buying Guide - Best Digital Camera Prices

need camera for a PCT thru hike (long)

need a powerful compact

Need suggestion for a camera

Which compact zoom camera would you recommend?

Kelly

Super Moderator/Reviewer

Quote Originally Posted by urb2165 View Post
    Andy: Thank you for sharing your knowledge with me. I guess it would be simplier for me to just buy a good digital camera. One that does it all automaticly. One that doesn't eat up batteries fast. One that will be good for outdoor use. Got any suggestions?
    Now what do I do with my old Cannon AE1 and lens? Any places that might take a trade in?
    A few places may be interested. Adorama camera and keh camera buy used gear. You can contact them through their websites.

As far as recommending cameras, I agree with Kelly, it depends what kind of money you intend to spend, the size of the camera and the overall quality level of the photos you want to take.

Check out some recent 4 and 41/2 star reviews from this website:
    Olympus PEN Mini E-PM2 Review
    Sony NEX-5R Review: Classy, Compact and Connected
    Nikon D600 Review: Full Frame, Full Features, Smaller Size
    Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Review: Goldilocks Dream Camera
    Nikon D800 Review: Function and Form Converge
    Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-RX100 Review: Simply Amazing
    Fujifilm FinePix F800EXR Review
    Nikon Coolpix P7700 Review
    My Gear:
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 110 HS