Quantcast IXUS 950IS not detected by new computer

+ Reply to Thread

Default IXUS 950IS not detected by new computer

Friend has a Canon ixus 950IS which worked correctly for years with XP.
    Recently built a new computer running Win7 Pro x64
    Plug the camera in & it refuses to start CameraWindow (CW refuses to start manually as well)
    Downloaded all the latest & greatest from Canon but still no go.

I have a laptop running Win7 Pro x64 and have a Powershot SX100IS installed. Plug his IXUS in and I'm presented with 3 options . . . I select the CameraWindow option & it starts just as it should.
    Doubt it's significant but his system has a BluRay reader where mine doesn't.

On another site I found this:
    >

> 8. If still no connection, try going to Start/Run and type in services.msc here you are looking for 4 services to be running. Check under status of each service and make sure it reads that each of these services are started.
    >

> Canon Camera Access Library 8 (if Canon software loaded)
    > SSDP discovery service
    > Universal Plug and Play Device Host
    > Windows Image Acquisition
    #1 isn't listed on either system.
    2, 3 and 4 have been checked but doesn't make any difference.

He's a cpl hours drive away so this morning we spent an hour via TeamViewer uninstalling/reinstalling but still no luck.
    It seems to be related to the system it's plugged into but we have no idea where to look now.
    Any suggestions?.

Super Moderator

Default Re: IXUS 950IS not detected by new computer

I checked the Canon website and it says there is no driver for the SD950 IS with regard to Windows 7/64 bit systems.
    Is there any particular reason you need a driver?
    Once the camera is plugged into the computer's USB port it should show up as a separate drive, and you can then copy and paste the pictures into the PC.
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 330 HS

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Stanton View Post
    I checked the Canon website and it says there is no driver for the SD950 IS with regard to Windows 7/64 bit systems
    It's an IXUS 950IS, different beast.
    Win7 on his machine only detects it as a Canon Digital Camera whereas elsewhere it shows the actual model# Windows also says it can't find an appropriate driver.

We installed CW normally, uninstalled, installed as Administrator. Using the Acquire function in ZoomBrowser reports it can't find any camera.
    Last edited by fynrdzynr; 03-06-2013 at 07:14 AM.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by fynrdzynr View Post
    It's an IXUS 950IS, different beast.
    Win7 on his machine only detects it as a Canon Digital Camera whereas elsewhere it shows the actual model# Windows also says it can't find an appropriate driver.

We installed CW normally, uninstalled, installed as Administrator. Using the Acquire function in ZoomBrowser reports it can't find any camera.
    I assume you installed Camera Window DC 8.8 for Windows.
    Since it doesn't work I repeat what I said in my previous post. As long as the camera is plugged into your computer's USB port, you should be able to see when looking at the drives (using the computer icon). Then simply copy and paste the images into the appropriate folder in your PC.
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 330 HS

I assume you installed Camera Window DC 8.8 for Windows..
    Yes, also reinstalled ImageBrowser but no change
    Since it doesn't work I repeat what I said in my previous post. As long as the camera is plugged into your computer's USB port, you should be able to see when looking at the drives (using the computer icon). Then simply copy and paste the images into the appropriate folder in your PC.
    Problem is whether I plug his camera in or mine, his computer makes a double "ding" error sound but neither camera even shows up in Explorer now (and obviously no "mass storage" for the SD card. Unplug and a single ding sounds. Both display correctly (model included) when plugged into mine.
    Plugged an 8GB Sandisk pendrive in & it's detected & it's contents display correctly.

Thread Information