Quantcast Canon 70d Lens Reco

+ Reply to Thread

Default Canon 70d Lens Reco

Hello!

I'm looking for purchase my first dslr and have decided on Canon's new 70d. I'm really excited about the big purchase, but wanted to compliment it right off the bat with some good starter lenses. I've been told to purchase the body only and then get two good lenses to get my started, rather than going with the kits. As a result, I was hoping to get your opinions since many of you probably know far more than most people do about Canon and their lenses

I'll bug you guys again when I decide to take that safari or Alaskan cruise and will want to shoot wildlife like that but for now, I'll mostly be taking pictures of my nephews (1 year and 3 years old), so I'd like a lens that will get me great candids with them and other family members. I also want to be able to easily shoot landscapes (cityscapes, natural forests, mountain ranges, etc.) when I travel, and also be able to practice taking pictures of flowers and things like that.

Thus far, people have recommended some combination of two of the following. Any thoughts on these? Please feel free to throw any other recommendations out there. Since I'm just getting started, I'd like to stay around $1,000 for my first two lenses until I get more familiar with my camera, etc.

EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5

50mm 1.8

35 mm 1.8

18-200 mm

Thank you!

Kristen

Super Moderator/Reviewer

Default Re: Canon 70d Lens Reco

If you want a "do it all" lens, the Canon 18-200mm is a fine lens, though it's kind of heavy (almost 2 pounds) and expensive (about $700). For a general purpose lens (with wide angle capability) you might be happier with something smaller and lighter in weight. The 10-22mm would be ideal except for one thing - its quite expensive (about $800). The 50mm f1.8 is a good (and cheap) portrait lens that works well in low light. I'm not aware that Canon makes a 35mm F1.8 and the 35mm F1.4 is very expensive ($1000).
    My Gear:
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 110 HS
    Canon A720IS (retired)

Thank you!! That's very helpful.

The kit lens for my 50D was the old full frame 28-135. But now I have pretty well replaced that one with the standard 18-55 IS II. Mostly for its light weight, which is a delight at then end of a long day. The 18-200 is a beast I will never attempt.

I'm cheap, my UWA is the Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6.

I don't know of a Canon 35mm f/1.8. The old f/2 lens is very reasonable, not considered a top flight lens, for Canon. The f/1.4 is north of $1000.

Prime lenses are a bit extreme, I would suggest starting with the standard kit zoom lens. Worry about the more specialized lenses later. If you just want a better quality zoom than the kit lens, Canon also has a nice 15-85 and a 17-55 f/2.8 zoom.

Kelly Cook
    Olympus PL2, Canon EOS 50D, Fujifilm F45fd, various film dinosaurs

Thread Information