Quantcast Newbie

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Newbie

Cool Newbie

Hi all, I have come on here as I am a keen beginner in photography, I know the basic's and have owned numerious cameras over the years, My passion is landscape / sunset / cloud formation's. As I now have two serious teenage Rugby player's, I now the unofficial photographer for the team's, Youth, U15's U13's and U10's.
    At the moment I am using a Pentax X90, in sport's mode.
    I have previously used a Cannon T70 and was wondering if the Len's and Filter's that I used with the T70 can be used with the lastest Cannon Camera's?
    As although excellent shot's can be obtained with my Pentax, it's a fixed Lens.
    Rather than buy a whole new kit, I am hoping that I can make use of the len's I have.
    I would also like some advise as to whether there are any good DVD/CD lesson's on photography that member's of this forum could recommend.

Cheers Suz

Super Moderator/Reviewer

Default Re: Newbie

The T70 used Canon's FD mount while the newer Canon DSLR's use the EF mount. In order to use your FD lenses you''ll have to buy an adapter and the results might be inferior. Unless you have a very expensive FD lens, it's best to purchase some EF lenses to use in a new Canon DSLR.
    My Gear:
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 110 HS
    Canon A720IS (retired)

Those old Canon FD lenses can be used with various mirrorless type cameras thanks to adapters. Cameras such as the Canon M, Olympus PEN, Panasonic G-series, and Sony NEX. However, the AutoFocus feature will be lost with such an adapter. Instead you would have to manual focus. And these mirrorless cameras all have smaller sensors than the old 35mm film size. So in all cases the field of view would be more narrow than with the original Canon T70. Of course, for telephoto work, such as daylight sports, a tight (close up) field of view might be wanted.

Kelly Cook
    Olympus PL2, Canon EOS 50D, Fujifilm F45fd, various film dinosaurs

So I would need an FD to EF mount adapter, but I would lose auto focus.
    When did the EF mount become the norm on the Cannon camera's? as I am only after a Cannon or similar with a LCD I could not afford to buy the latest DSLR, just one that support's my FD mount Len's. Finding an LCD to adapt my T70 would be great as it is a brill camera and still takes a good picture. but I need the instant review of my shot's.

Super Moderator/Reviewer

Quote Originally Posted by ccridersuz View Post
    So I would need an FD to EF mount adapter, but I would lose auto focus.
    When did the EF mount become the norm on the Cannon camera's? as I am only after a Cannon or similar with a LCD I could not afford to buy the latest DSLR, just one that support's my FD mount Len's. Finding an LCD to adapt my T70 would be great as it is a brill camera and still takes a good picture. but I need the instant review of my shot's.
    The EF mount was introduced in 1987.
    Try looking for a used Canon DSLR in good condition. You could probably pick one up for as little as $200.
    My Gear:
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 110 HS
    Canon A720IS (retired)

But, any adapter to fit an old FD lens to a Canon DSLR will include its own lens, inside the adapter, to extend the focus back to the DSLR sensor. This also means that the focal length of the FD lens will be greater (more telephoto). And worse, this simple lens in the adapter will degrade the image quality of the FD lens. It is much better to use these old lenses with a simple adapter that lacks its own lens. And that can be done only with the mirrorless type camera bodies, not a DSLR, not even a Canon DSLR.

Kelly

Welcome. I am new as well. Seems like a really nice forum so far.

Thread Information