Quantcast Next step up

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Next step up

Default Next step up

I currently use a Canon Eos rebel T1i and want to take it up a notch what's the next step from a T1iThe T1i does a very good job but I was wondering if I should get an even better camera than the T1i. What kind of price tag am I looking at as well.

Super Moderator/Reviewer

Default Re: Next step up

The T1i is a good camera overall with very good image quality, though it is a few years old and lacks a few features that more current DSLR's have, such as built-in GPS and WiFi, 1920 x 1080 video at 30 fps, a touch screen interface and a fully articulated LCD.

The latest version of your camera is the T5i, which is very similar to your T1i but has the more current features I mentioned (except the built-in WiFi). The T5i body is available online for $599. If you really want to move up the Canon 70D is excellent. Its image quality will be better than your T1i. It has all the features of the T5i plus a better sensor with built-in autofocus (dual pixel autofocus), a larger, heavier body, built-in weather sealing, an LCD on the top plate (very convenient), built-in WiFi, more auto-focus image points, a larger, better viewfinder, a better auto-focus system for "live view" shooting and several other advanced features. The 70D is about twice as expensive as the T5i, at about $1199 for the body. Both the T5i and 70D are fully compatible with the lenses you bought for your T1i.
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 330 HS

The 60D would also be a good step up, with a little lower price than the 70D. Just be aware that none of these will result in a major improvement in your photos, unless you are shooting action sequences. The main benefit is that these cameras are more pleasant to use as a photographer.

Kelly Cook
    Olympus PL2, Canon EOS 50D, Fujifilm F45fd, various film dinosaurs

I shoot landscapes so wifi or video capabilities mean nothing to me.I use the Canon 18-135mm lens with my T1i. The 70d has 20mp which I like,the T1i has 15mp. So except for the 5mp increase I'm not sure the 70d is for me.Am I wrong? I want the ABSOLUTE BEST image quality I can get but I'm not sure the 70d is worth it.You tell me.

Any gain in IQ will be modest, except that the 70D will come with a newer lens, which will have milder aberrations. Of course there is no law that prevents you from simply getting a better lens for your current T1i!!! For landscapes the least expensive ways to step up would be a better tripod, or a calibration unit for your monitor, or a better RAW converter (editor). Otherwise the big gain to be made regarding bodies would be to move up to full frame, 5Dii or 6D. Which will mean a new lens too.

Kelly

Super Moderator/Reviewer

Quote Originally Posted by ignatiusjk View Post
    I shoot landscapes so wifi or video capabilities mean nothing to me.I use the Canon 18-135mm lens with my T1i. The 70d has 20mp which I like,the T1i has 15mp. So except for the 5mp increase I'm not sure the 70d is for me.Am I wrong? I want the ABSOLUTE BEST image quality I can get but I'm not sure the 70d is worth it.You tell me.
    Video is one one area where the 70D is an improvement over your T1i. As I noted above the 70D has all the improvements of the T5i (built-in GPSi, 1920 x 1080 video at 30 fps, touch screen interface,fully articulated LCD) plus built-in Wifi, a better sensor with built-in autofocus (dual pixel autofocus), a larger, heavier body, built-in weather sealing, an LCD on the top plate, more auto-focus image points, a larger, better viewfinder, a better auto-focus system for "live view" shooting.

The T5i has several advantages over the T1i and the 70D has many more. Are the cameras worth the money? That's difficult to say. The improvements are substantial (especially the 70D) but I agree with Kelly Cook that none of these improvements will result in a great increase in the quality of your photos.
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 330 HS

Thread Information