Quantcast Is there a setting for keeping a horizontal orientation during shooting?

+ Reply to Thread

Question Is there a setting for keeping a horizontal orientation during shooting?

I just recently purchased a Powershot SX510HS for shooting car part pictures for a website. I'm going through my first 2000+ photos with this camera to find that some of the photos are flipped 90 degrees in a vertical orientation in Photoshop. The camera seems to be sensitive to any rotation during shooting. Is there a setting to keep the photos in a horizontal orientation?

I'm only seeing the photos in a vertical orientation on Photoshop and the website so I have been opening all the images in Photoshop and rotating the ones that are vertical either 90 degrees clockwise or 90 degrees counter clockwise.

When I first started using the camera I shut off the auto rotate feature but I have come to find out that is only for viewing the photos.

Thanks for the help.

Super Moderator

Default Re: Is there a setting for keeping a horizontal orientation during shooting?

Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 330 HS

Default Re: Is there a setting for keeping a horizontal orientation during shooting?

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Stanton View Post
    ;
    Hi Andy, Thanks for the response. I did look at page 86 of the user guide previously which looks like to me is the information on auto rotation setting for viewing the pictures in playback mode. That is not what I am trying to do. I am trying to get the camera to not rotate the photo when I shoot the picture. I'm angling the camera slightly to catch light on the part I am shooting and the camera thinks I want to shoot the picture in a portrait orientation when what I really want to do is keep it in the landscape orientation. Below is an example of images that I am talking about. The first one is how I want all the photos to be orientated the 2nd one is the problem image.

Super Moderator

Hi Andy, Thanks for the response. I did look at page 86 of the user guide previously which looks like to me is the information on auto rotation setting for viewing the pictures in playback mode.
    I don't think your assumption is correct. Have you tried adjusting the auto rotation control on page 86?
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 330 HS

I don't think your assumption is correct. Have you tried adjusting the auto rotation control on page 86?
    When I first started using the camera I set the auto rotation to "off" (referred to on page 86). I believed the setting to control the rotation during shooting, like you, but after transferring the photos to my computer I found that about 100 or so of the photos were turned on their side. So I reviewed the user guide and did some research online to find that the setting just controls the rotation on viewing the pictures on playback. The user guide is a little deceiving if you look just at page 86. If you look at the sections on the right hand margin of the user guide you will see that you are in the playback section of the guide on page 86.

I have experimented with the camera with the auto rotation setting on and with the setting off. It does just control the viewing screen. I found just yesterday that it would be better for me to leave the auto rotation setting on because it allows me to see which photos are in the undesirable orientation on the camera and I can rotate them on the camera during playback fairly quickly. Opening them on Photoshop and rotating them and saving them took me a day, off and on. I couldn't tell which ones were in the incorrect orientation till I opened them on Photoshop so I had to open all 2000 photos. I'm guessing there is a quicker way to rotate the photos but I figure a setting on the camera seems possible and would eliminate the problem all together.

Super Moderator

You might want to send an email to Canon's support section.
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 330 HS

You might want to send an email to Canon's support section.
    Good idea. I will try Canon.

Thread Information