Quantcast Canon SD790IS - busy sign and "unidentified image"

+ Reply to Thread

Default Canon SD790IS - busy sign and "unidentified image"

hi,

i recently got a Canon SD790IS and last night i was using it to take pictures/videos at a show and... i was recording videos and after i press stop REC... it shows the busy sign for like 5-7 seconds until i can record another video... is this normal

and i got a 8GB SD card ... and a couple of my last pictures/videos like 10? when i tried to review them on my camera again it said "unidentified image" -- why is this? is there anyway i can recover it? because when i tried to look at it on the computer... it says i have no picture to review.

thank you so much and sorry if it is a repeat question

Super Moderator/Reviewer

Default Re: Canon SD790IS - busy sign and "unidentified image"

The camera has to save your video to your memory card so there's going to be some delay, depending on the length of your video and the speed of your memory card. How long were your videos?

and i got a 8GB SD card ... and a couple of my last pictures/videos like 10? when i tried to review them on my camera again it said "unidentified image" -- why is this? is there anyway i can recover it? because when i tried to look at it on the computer... it says i have no picture to review.
    I'm not sure what you mean. Are you saying you can't read a couple of pictures? videos? How many? Do the files on the bad pictures look the same as the good ones - a .JPG extension for photos and a .AVI extension for videos?
    My Gear:
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 110 HS
    Canon A720IS (retired)

my videos were like 1 minute or alittle more ... my friend said its probably because i put it on high resolution... so i did a test and record it on the lowest one! for like 1-5 seconds and it still did a busy sign for 7 seconds after recording.

i also just did a test like 30 minutes ago on the highest resolution and made the video record for 2 minutes and when i stopped recording it was busy for a reallyyyy long time... my screen even turn blank! then after like 2-3 minutes it went back to normal then... i press review... it said unidentified image.

-----

and what i meant about the 10 last pictures/videos i took i cant see cause it says "unidentified image" including the videos i took on the camera but when i plug it in to see it on my computer it does say .AVI and .JPG though just i cant see the pictures.. but i did see the last couple of videos i took - jjust not on the camera.

my SD card isnt a name brand one... do you think thats the reason why this is happening?

I am going to test it out with a SanDisk card later in the day cause it's at my boyfriend house - i'll let you know about that.

I had an older model Canon camera that lasted me 4 years before dying. I was very happy with it. So, I got the newer, 10 megapixel Canon camera. I have been disappointed ever since. I CONSTANTLY get "unidentified image" messages. According to the user manual, it means that the photo was taken by a different type of camera, and therefore my camera doesn't recognize the file that is on my memory card. HUH???? I only have one digital camera.

I contacted the camera store. They told me the problem is that I didn't format the memory card. So, they formatted it. Problem persisted. They gave me a new camera. Problem persists. I notice that MOST times, I am able to load the images onto my computer using Canon software, but I cannot open the "unidentified image" using the Microsoft Photo editor. But, every so often, even the Canon software can't handle the photo. I will get a brief glimpse of the photo with lots of black lines going through it before the software gives me an error message.

I have limited confidence that the photos I take of loved ones, etc... will actually be saved and accessible with this new Canon camera. I had 100% confidence in my older, 4 megapixel Canon.

Is there something obvious I am missing?

Linda

Super Moderator/Reviewer

I think your problem lies with the memory card rather than the camera. I suggest purchasing a name brand SD card (SanDisk, Transcend, Kingston are a few of the well-known brands).
    My Gear:
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 110 HS
    Canon A720IS (retired)

Thanks for the suggestion. I have about 4 memory cards, but chances are, they are all from the same no-name brand. So, I will give your suggestion a shot. What have I got to lose?

Thanks again.

Linda

Thread Information