Quantcast Olympus TG-3: Best Rugged Camera on the Market Discussion

+ Reply to Thread

Default Olympus TG-3: Best Rugged Camera on the Market Discussion

It is no secret that I loved the Olympus TG-2 iHS. I've written numerous articles about its macro abilities and its overall usability. So, when the Olympus TG-3 was announced almost 2 months ago, I was naturally excited to see the newest advances in technology for this camera. But does the TG-3 live up to the lovefest I gave the TG-2? Heck yeah and maybe more!

Read the full content of this Article: Olympus TG-3: Best Rugged Camera on the Market

Related Articles:

Super Moderator/Reviewer

Default Re: Olympus TG-3: Best Rugged Camera on the Market Discussion

Excellent image quality for a point and shoot. My friend has the TG-3 and loves it.
    My Gear:
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 110 HS
    Canon A720IS (retired)

Default Re: Olympus TG-3: Best Rugged Camera on the Market Discussion

I managed to get one of these cameras about a month ago (from Best Buy in Canada) and have had plenty of fun with it, UNTIL I decided to take it scuba-diving. Once I reached about 30-feet-deep, the camera controls locked up and I could see that the rear protective screen was deforming enough from the pressure that it was actually touching the LCD beneath. Not good! There was no water infiltration at all, but what this means (assuming this is a design and/or manufacturing defect common to all TG-3s) is that the camera is nowhere near capable of the claimed 50-foot depths (you'd need the $300 underwater housing to really do any significant diving with it). Olympus have asked me to send the camera in for "repair," but I'm not sure what that repair would consist of. AND I'm lumped with a $50 bill for shipping and insurance after having the camera for just a month.

Thread Information