Quantcast Nikon D5200 Auto Exposure Meter

+ Reply to Thread

Default Nikon D5200 Auto Exposure Meter

Good afternoon. I am brand new to photography with any thing other than an iPhone. I just purchased a Nikon D5200 kit the other day. I have been playing around with it for a couple of days now and absolutely love it. I am definitely hooked. I have spent plenty of time searching, but have a couple of questions I was hoping someone with experience with this model could help me out with. I have also read the manual about 10 times The lens I am using is the stock one that came with the kit - Nikkor 18-55 f 1:3.5-5.6 I believe.

1. I notice that with the camera in auto - the exposure meter will routinely show underexposed (digital meter readings to the left), but never to the right to indicate overexposed. Is this normal? Even if I am outside and point the camera towards the sunshine, I can't get it to indicate overexposed at all in auto. I know the meter/display does work because in manual I can adjust the settings and it get it to show overexposed. Is this just a function of this specific lens/auto setting. Again, I am new, but want to make sure the camera is functioning as expected.

2. I took the camera outside today and it instantly fogged up because it's 70 inside and 95 outside...I didn't stay out for long because it is crazy hot, but is there any danger of doing damage to the camera when going between environments like this? I assume the answer is "no" but figured I would ask the experts.

Thanks for your time!

Super Moderator/Reviewer

Default Re: Nikon D5200 Auto Exposure Meter

Quote Originally Posted by acevedor2 View Post
    1. I notice that with the camera in auto - the exposure meter will routinely show underexposed (digital meter readings to the left), but never to the right to indicate overexposed. Is this normal? Even if I am outside and point the camera towards the sunshine, I can't get it to indicate overexposed at all in auto. I know the meter/display does work because in manual I can adjust the settings and it get it to show overexposed. Is this just a function of this specific lens/auto setting. Again, I am new, but want to make sure the camera is functioning as expected.
    Nikon DSLR's tend to underexpose in bright light, which is a good thing because overexposure is more likely to ruin your picture. If it bothers you set the exposure compensation to make the image brighter. But you might regret it if your image ends up overexposed.
    2. I took the camera outside today and it instantly fogged up because it's 70 inside and 95 outside...I didn't stay out for long because it is crazy hot, but is there any danger of doing damage to the camera when going between environments like this? I assume the answer is "no" but figured I would ask the experts.
    Actually my answer would be yes, going directly from a cold environment to a very hot and humid one (and vice-versa) could damage the camera. It's best to gradually acclimate your camera to the extreme environment and avoid abrupt changes.
    [COLOR="Blue"]My Gear:
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 330 HS

Thread Information