Quantcast Nikon V1 legacy lens question - for Jim Keenan or anyone else with old 85mm F2 lens

+ Reply to Thread

Default Nikon V1 legacy lens question - for Jim Keenan or anyone else with old 85mm F2 lens

I hope it is not bad form to direct a question specifically to Jim Keenan (although I invite anyone else to respond too): In your review of the Nikon V1, you specifically refer to mounting an older 85mm F2 lens despite it not appearing on Nikon's official "compatibility" list.

In reference to this, (1) was/is your 85mm F2 lens an autofocus lens? (Mine isn't); (2) If not, what restrictions did you experience using the non-autofocus 85 mm on the V1 using FT-1 adapter? (Or, alternatively, what capabilities, i.e., did it meter?)

Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Nikon V1 legacy lens question - for Jim Keenan or anyone else with old 85mm F2 lens

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Sneakers View Post
    I hope it is not bad form to direct a question specifically to Jim Keenan (although I invite anyone else to respond too): In your review of the Nikon V1, you specifically refer to mounting an older 85mm F2 lens despite it not appearing on Nikon's official "compatibility" list.

In reference to this, (1) was/is your 85mm F2 lens an autofocus lens? (Mine isn't); (2) If not, what restrictions did you experience using the non-autofocus 85 mm on the V1 using FT-1 adapter? (Or, alternatively, what capabilities, i.e., did it meter?)

Thanks in advance.
    Sorry to have taken so long to answer this, my wife and I were traveling from early September through October 12 and I haven't been paying attention to the forum as much as I should. Now we're wading through some 8000 photos of Grand Teton and Yellowstone National Parks (pre-closure), Devil's Tower, WY, Mount Rushmore and the Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta.

My 85/f2 is a Nikkor AI lens - a manual focus lens that I used (and can still use) on my F2 and F3 35mm SLR bodies. With this lens onboard the V1 via the FT-1 adapter, the camera would meter in aperture priority or manual, and my preference was manual - I like the idea of "fine tuning" the exposure myself rather than leaving shutter speed up to the camera. The drawback was having to manual focus after years of relying largely on autofocus - it took a while to get my "eye" for manual focus back.
    Last edited by Jim Keenan; 11-06-2013 at 09:52 AM.

Default Re: Nikon V1 legacy lens question - for Jim Keenan or anyone else with old 85mm F2 lens

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Keenan View Post
    Sorry to have taken so long to answer this, my wife and I were traveling from early September through October 12 and I haven't been paying attention to the forum as much as I should. Now we're wading through some 8000 photos of Grand Teton and Yellowstone National Parks (pre-closure), Devil's Tower, WY, Mount Rushmore and the Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta.

My 85/f2 is a Nikkor AI lens - a manual focus lens that I used (and can still use) on my F2 and F3 35mm SLR bodies. With this lens onboard the V1 via the FT-1 adapter, the camera would meter in aperture priority or manual, and my preference was manual - I like the idea of "fine tuning" the exposure myself rather than leaving shutter speed up to the camera. The drawback was having to manual focus after years of relying largely on autofocus - it took a while to get my "eye" for manual focus back.
    Thanks for the response - very appreciated. Mine is manual too (and bought for/with my F3). Just trying to determine whether purchasing FT-1 would be worthwhile. This info is helpful. Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

Thread Information