Quantcast RF remote with D7100

+ Reply to Thread

Default RF remote with D7100

I purchased a D7100 a couple of weeks ago and along other accessories I got a ProMaster RF remote trigger. I've never used remote triggers before, but I assumed you had to activate them in the menu. In the menu is a setting to turn on remote control mode (ML-L3) and even though I don't have a Nikon ML-L3 the salesman at my local camera store said I'd still have to set the menu item to get it to work. Much to my surprise I discovered this evening that the remote will fire even if I don't have remote control turned on.

Is this intended behavior? I'm actually glad it works like this because for the types of photos I shoot I need the remote often so this saves me the trouble of having to turn it on every time I use the camera.

I dropped the camera a couple of nights ago from about 3' onto a carpeted floor, but the lense hood prevented damage to the lense. Every since I've been wondering if something might have happened to the camera to cause the remote to operate on it's own without being set.

Thanks for any feedback on this issue!

Super Moderator

Default Re: RF remote with D7100

Much to my surprise I discovered this evening that the remote will fire even if I don't have remote control turned on.
    The D7100 should have a menu setting for IR remote control. Are you saying your remote works even though the camera is not set to the remote menu setting?
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 330 HS

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Stanton View Post
    The D7100 should have a menu setting for IR remote control. Are you saying your remote works even though the camera is not set to the remote menu setting?
    Yes, that's what I'm saying. Although, my remote is RF and not IR. IR (infrared), being a beam of light, needs something close to line of sight to work, RF (radio frequency) will go through walls (don't mean to insult anyone's intelligence here, I just want to be clear what I'm using). I'm not sure that this matters though. The remote menu setting that I had been turning on was for the ML-L3 as this was what the salesman told me to do, but apparently the menu does nothing. I've gone through all of the menus so if there's another one that's set or not I didn't see it.

Super Moderator

The D7100 has an internal IR receiver which works with the IR transmitter when you make the appropriate menu selection.

The D7100 does not have an internal RF receiver - you have to use two units - a receiver, which is connected to the camera through the shutter port, and the transmitter (trigger). Once you make the connection the unit is active. No menu selection is required. Page 309 of the manual gives some insight into this.
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 330 HS

OK, thank you very much. That makes sense.

Thread Information