Quantcast Taking The Hi Res Plunge.......

+ Reply to Thread

Default Taking The Hi Res Plunge.......

After shooting 10 and 12MP Nikons for years I ordered a D810 through NPS via my local camera shop - should be here in a day or two. Almost pulled the trigger on a D800E about 6 months ago but really was/am holding out for the D300s replacement. However, I'm shooting more panoramas and landscapes and a couple friends swear their D800s are the greatest thing since canned beer, so here we go.........going to mate it with the MB-D12 battery pack and grip with an EN-EL18a battery so it will shoot 7 fps in DX crop mode; dealer is taking my high mileage D300s/MB-D10 but still have the low shutter time one with an MB-D10 as well. The D810 buffer is reportedly 45 full shots at the 6 fps full res continuous shooting rate so the camera has a semi-decent sports capability with 6 and 7 fps options and I still have the D3 and D3s. Good thing the wife likes to shoot.

Super Moderator

Default Re: Taking The Hi Res Plunge.......

Full frame sensor, 36 megapixels, no anti-alias filter, no low pass filter, should be an awesome camera. Enjoy.
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 330 HS

Hear ya. I need to start taking grips more seriously.

Kelly

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Stanton View Post
    Full frame sensor, 36 megapixels, no anti-alias filter, no low pass filter, should be an awesome camera. Enjoy.
    After the D600 debris/dust fiasco and goofy color issues with D800/800E monitors I figure Nikon will burn the midnight oil to make sure the D810 is pretty dialed in before they turn them loose - at least I hope so. They just handled the D600 mess so badly - right up there with Canon and the 1Ds Mk. III that wouldn't focus. Can't imagine them messing up so badly again so soon.

Quote Originally Posted by KCook View Post
    Hear ya. I need to start taking grips more seriously.

Kelly
    I got used to oversized bodies with the D2x and since then a normal body just doesn't feel right - good thing as I just love the D3/3s. The grip gives the D810 an extra fps in DX crop mode with an EN-EL18A battery, along with improved battery life - I got spoiled shooting the D3/3s for 2500+ shots between recharges. So adding the grip makes it feel better, shoot longer and a little more performance - the cats aren't going to college so their tuition goes for camera stuff. Don't think the big grip/battery pack is everyone's cup of tea, but it makes sense for me.

I could be tempted by a light weight grip for my 50D, as I sometimes am in situations where I am shooting mostly the vertical orientation, not "landscape mode". As for a full mondo grip, I would really like that on a nice mirrorless body. Most mirrorless bodies are a little too small for my comfort.

multi-threat
    Olympus PL2, Canon EOS 50D, Fujifilm F45fd, various film dinosaurs

CAPTURE NX-D.jpgD810, first light.

JPEG from NEF (RAW) - lossless compressed NEF files run about 40MB - I've got two 64GB cards onboard good for 559 shots.

Fastest AF I've used - quicker than my D3S.

Off to the beach in the AM for surfers with the 600mm...........

Here's 5 shots with the D810 and 600mm lens combo. Huge files, ripe with detail - all of these are using the DX crop option and the hummingbird shots are nearly full frame in DX; the surf shot is. Looking at the original surf file at 100% the inscriptions on the shoulder and sleeve of the wetsuit can be clearly read.
    Attached Images Attached Images

If these were handheld, you have steady hands!

Kelly

Thread Information