Quantcast canon powershot sx10IS

+ Reply to Thread

Default canon powershot sx10IS

I have had this camera a couple years now, and I really like it for most of my photo uses, mainly outdoor baseball shots, it works awesom for this.
    I have trouble getting the same results from indoor shots. I wonder if I'm doing something wrong? Like which mode ( indoor basketball), do I need the extra hot flash? I can usually only get about two good shots, so any tricks or thoughts on how to improve the quality? I'm not professional by any means. Although my baseball family tell me my picts. are better than the professionals that take shots at our tournaments and charge a huge amount of $$$. Please help.
    Carrie

Super Moderator/Reviewer

Default Re: canon powershot sx10IS

I doubt if you would be allowed to use a separate high-powered flash at indoor basketball games.

The best thing to do is put your camera in shutter priority mode (Tv) and set your shutter speed to something fairly fast, to avoid blur (perhaps 1/400 second). If the image is too dark, you'll have to manually set the ISO to 400, 800 or 1600, whichever gives the best results. Keep in mind that a higher ISO will brighten the picture but the picture will be less sharp. Also be careful how much optical zoom you use. The more optical zoom used, the darker the image will be.
    My Gear:
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 110 HS
    Canon A720IS (retired)

Default Re: Which powershot?

Its the Canon powershot SX10 IS. I use it mainly for outdoor sports (baseball). It performs awesome in that setting. I have troubles though when it comes to indoor shots (still or action). The IS symbol flashes and it takes what seems like forever to complete the shot and then it is sometimes blurry. I'm not a professional, just need advice. Do i need the extra hot flash?

Thanks for the advice, I will play around with it today and see what kind of results I can get. I'm happy to finally find some help with my issues. What can I do for still shots?

Super Moderator/Reviewer

Still shots are much easier because the shutter speed can be much lower. If you're shooting still shots outdoors, the camera's auto mode should do just fine. If you're shooting indoors, without the flash, and you don't like how the picture looks, try aperture priority mode (Av) and set the widest aperture available (F3.4 if no optical zoom is used). Use the lowest ISO you can to get a well exposed picture (probably 200 or 400). The camera's AI should select a slow shutter speed for you that, hopefully, is not so slow that the image is blurry. If the shutter speed the camera selects is too slow you'll have to shoot in full manual mode and set the shutter speed yourself.
    My Gear:
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 110 HS
    Canon A720IS (retired)

Super Moderator/Reviewer

Default Re: Which powershot?

Its the Canon powershot SX10 IS. I use it mainly for outdoor sports (baseball). It performs awesome in that setting. I have troubles though when it comes to indoor shots (still or action). The IS symbol flashes and it takes what seems like forever to complete the shot and then it is sometimes blurry. I'm not a professional, just need advice. Do i need the extra hot flash?
    The separate flash (which attaches to the hotshoe) is good when you need a stronger flash than the one that comes with the camera. If you're shooting a lot indoors (weddings, parties, etc.) a separate flash is a good thing to have.

I'm moving your questions about the SX10IS to the photography section, where you already have a thread going on on this subject.
    Last edited by Andy Stanton; 02-12-2011 at 03:46 PM.
    My Gear:
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 110 HS
    Canon A720IS (retired)

Thread Information