Quantcast Sony Nex 5 custom white balance - Page 2

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Super Moderator

Default Re: Sony Nex 5 custom white balance

40 Euros?? That's ridiculously high. In the US you can pick up a white balance card set for under $10!

Once you take the picture of the white card your white balance is set.

Here's a YouTube video showing how to set the white balance for the NEX 5. Custom WB on NEX-5.wmv - YouTube
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 330 HS

Yes it is one of those issues where you lose trust in your local camera shop and turn to the web. But please allow me to keep focus on the Astro issue. You see There are a lot of information to find with Canon, but the Nex , that offer the mirrorless extra adjustment option, -- unless you buy the standard Nex-to- 1,25" or Nex-to-2" adaptor, T-Ring , as then you just have the same limitations as with a Canon with a T-Ring and 1,25" okular tube. -- is not as well known as Canon, in Astro foto.
    The graat advanteage with Nex in Astro foto would be that it is mirrorless and so it can fit allmost all telescopes, --- but not before the Astro fotographer know about the white ballance issue, and that must be a special case compared normal stills.

So this is the reson I replied in this tread ; if we should follow the normal way white ballance are set by users choice, it is with a gray card and under the light condisions presant. But that make very little sense in Astro foto, as there one can wonder if the starlight is enough to even light up the gray or white card. -- Do you see my concern ?

White ballance are dependant of the source of light, and so the gray or white card make sense, as if the white ballance are right set, then that card will display in it's true color. But with the stars, it is the light source that is imaged, not how the light are reflected and showing it's color ballance. Nex tell it is a foult if the color value fall outside particular values, but even an error messeage are displayed, Nex set the white ballance anyway ; I just wonder what the error messeage mean as that might help the original poster, who also see the error messeage as a problem.

Btw,please exchouse the spelling, english is not my native language.
    Last edited by SilverScreen; 08-15-2012 at 07:58 AM.

Super Moderator

After looking up that error message it seems that you're not the only person who's received such a message from a Sony camera when trying to use the custom white balance feature. Apparently the camera is telling you that it's unable to set the white balance the way you're trying to do it - shooting the scene rather than shooting a white card.
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 330 HS

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Stanton View Post
    After looking up that error message it seems that you're not the only person who's received such a message from a Sony camera when trying to use the custom white balance feature. Apparently the camera is telling you that it's unable to set the white balance the way you're trying to do it - shooting the scene rather than shooting a white card.
    Well I think Something is set, but the camera tell you that what is set is not within the average light condisions. It is obvious that the settings are different and I guess the camera do set what it think must be the right ballance. But maybe I havn't explained my doubt good enough. What I wonder is how the camera can set a white ballance looking at a black sky with pinpoint stars that will all together cover a very small area of the chip, had you them put together in one single area the stars will be nothing. As this is how Sony ask you to do it ; Pick the "Set" value and point the camera towerds the scene and take an image that the camera then use to set the ballance, this is how Sony's Nex Custom White ballance work, They do not suggest a white card at all.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information