Quantcast Sony NEX F3 or the Sony NEX 3NL ???

+ Reply to Thread

Question Sony NEX F3 or the Sony NEX 3NL ???

hey, so I'm thinking about upgrading my husbands camera for his birthday in a few months, I like the look of both the NEX F3 and the NEX 3NL but cant decide which would be better. Although I've spent weeks looking and reading reviews I know nothing about cameras so thought I'd ask people who do!

I don't want anything too fancy, I just want him to be able to take good photos, with a decent zoom with a good looking camera.

I hope someone can help

Super Moderator/Reviewer

Default Re: Sony NEX F3 or the Sony NEX 3NL ???

The NEX 3NL is the most recent version of the Sony's least expensive NEX camera, replacing the NEX F3. The main differences are that the NEX 3NL is smaller, lighter in weight, cheaper, and has a zoom lever incorporated into the camera. The zoom lever allows you to zoom without manually turning the lens (as you must do in other interchangeable lens cameras with a zoom lens attached), but only if you have one of Sony's Power Zoom lenses. Like the NEX F3, the NEX 3NL is an excellent small, mirror-less interchangeable lens camera with excellent image quality. Of the two the NEX 3NL offers more and is the better buy.

I don't want anything too fancy, I just want him to be able to take good photos, with a decent zoom with a good looking camera.
    If you want decent zoom you won't get it with any of the Sony NEX cameras unless you invest in a long zoom lens. For instance, the Sony 55-210mm f/4.5-6.3 E-mount lens for NEX cameras will give you the equivalent of about a 12x zoom, which is moderate these days. However the lens sells for about $350. That has to be added to the cost of the NEX 3NL and its kit lens, the Power Zoom 16-50mm lens (about a 3x optical zoom).

If you want a very good camera with an integrated long zoom lens, and you want to stay with Sony, you might want to consider the Sony HX50v. While it has lesser image quality compared to the NEX cameras, it still takes very nice looking images and movies and comes with a 30x zoom lens. However, unlike the NEX cameras, the HX50v can fit in a pocket. Also, unlike the NEX 3NL, the HX50v has built-in WiFi and GPS. It's not a cheap camera, about the same price as the NEX 3NL plus the Power Zoom 16-50mm lens, but you won't have to purchase any additional lenses with the HX50v.
    Last edited by Andy Stanton; 08-05-2013 at 08:56 PM.
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 330 HS

Default Re: Sony NEX F3 or the Sony NEX 3NL ???

Link to another thread comparing the different cameras for enthusiasts -

Need suggestion for upgrading Camera

Kelly Cook
    Olympus PL2, Canon EOS 50D, Fujifilm F45fd, various film dinosaurs

Thread Information