Quantcast All of my photos are blurry unless the subject is perfectly still

Closed Thread

Default All of my photos are blurry unless the subject is perfectly still

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Super Moderator/Reviewer

Default Re: All of my photos are blurry unless the subject is perfectly still

Which camera do you have?

Are your problems with moving subjects in an indoor setting or outdoors? If indoors you can get pictures without blur if you use the flash. Otherwise it's tough to get sharp pictures when your subjects are moving because the camera won't shoot at high enough shutter speeds (in auto mode) as it will make the picture too dark. You can improve the situation of you use a camera with good low light ability.
    My Gear:
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 110 HS
    Canon A720IS (retired)

My camera is a SONY DSLR-A200. My problems with moving athletes are both indoors and
    outdoors. Are you saying I have to get a new camera? What one would you recommend that
    can take photos of moving athletes? Please tell me in detail how I can get the flash to come on:
    I don't know how. Thanks.

Are your problems with moving subjects in an indoor setting or outdoors? If indoors you can get pictures without blur if you use the flash. Otherwise it's tough to get sharp pictures when your subjects are moving because the camera won't shoot at high enough shutter speeds (in auto mode) as it will make the picture too dark. You can improve the situation of you use a camera with good low light ability.

Default My photos look bad. Tell me if there are adjustments I need to make to my camera.

I think my last message here was deleted. Please don't delete this one.
    My photos are blurry when I try to take a photo of a moving athlete.
    Unless he's completely still, such as sitting on the bench, he is very blurry.

Super Moderator/Reviewer

Default Re: My photos look bad. Tell me if there are adjustments I need to make to my camera.

No, your message wasn't deleted. It was automatically held for moderation.
    My Gear:
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 110 HS
    Canon A720IS (retired)

Super Moderator/Reviewer

You have a good camera that should be able to take sharp pictures of moving subjects, even in low light.

If you're not able to get good pictures when shooting in auto mode, try shooting in shutter priority mode. In that mode you set your desired shutter speed while the camera automatically sets the appropriate aperture setting. To capture a moving subject you should set the shutter speed to 1/200 second at a minimum, faster depending on how fast the subject is moving. If the picture is too dark, increase your ISO - your camera should be able to take good looking pictures even at fairly high ISO's like 800 and 1600.

If you don't know how to set your camera to shutter priority mode or adjust the ISO I suggest you look at your camera's manual, as it gives a comprehensive explanation on how to do these functions. If you don't have the manual you can get it from Sony here - https://docs.sony.com/release/DSLRA200.pdf

For questions about your flash, see pages 72-75 of your manual.
    My Gear:
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 110 HS
    Canon A720IS (retired)

What is a "shutter"?

Super Moderator/Reviewer

Quote Originally Posted by nkscouting View Post
    What is a "shutter"?
    I suggest you read your manual.
    My Gear:
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 110 HS
    Canon A720IS (retired)

Please explain this quote below. I never use auto mode. Right now, the black dial is set on "A," which is where the man who owns a local camera shop put it. I have the manual but I don't understand the two sentences below. Why would someone set the dial on auto mode? My camera is a Sony DSLR-A200.
    Is the quote below saying I need to buy a new camera? If so, what camera would you recommend? Thanks for your time.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________
    camera won't shoot at high enough shutter speeds (in auto mode) as it will make the picture too dark. You can improve the situation of you use a camera with good low light ability.

Super Moderator/Reviewer

Is the quote below saying I need to buy a new camera? If so, what camera would you recommend?
    Absolutely not. You have a fine DSLR camera - there's no need to buy another camera.

I never use auto mode. Right now, the black dial is set on "A," which is where the man who owns a local camera shop put it.
    I strongly disagree with the person at your camera shop. For someone new to photography your camera should be set to AUTO (auto mode), not to A, which is aperture priority mode. The black dial has many settings but the 4 that matter the most are AUTO (auto mode), P (program mode), A (aperture priority mode), S (shutter priority mode) and M (manual mode). To understand what these settings mean you must read your manual.

In order to take the kind of pictures you want you have to know how your camera works. Since you have a DSLR you can, if you wish, control any of the basic controls that enable you to take a properly exposed picture. These are:
    1-Shutter speed. Your camera can be set to shoot at anywhere from 30 seconds to 1/4000 second. The faster the shutter speed the less light is available for your picture but the less chance you have of getting a blurry picture.
    2-Aperture. An opening in your lens that determines, among other things, how much light comes into the picture. The basic lens of the Sony A-200 is the Sony 18-70mm lens, with an aperture range of from F/3.5 to F/5.6. The lower number signifies a wider aperture - more light.
    3-ISO. Sensitivity of the sensor. Your camera has an ISO range from 100 through 3200. The lower the ISO the less light is available for your picture, but the picture will look its best (if you add more light) As you raise the ISO you will lighten the picture, but you will also increase the digital "noise" which will degrade your picture if there's too much noise.

The trick to getting a good picture is to balance the 3 factors I mentioned above. It's all laid out in your camera's manual so, if you want to understand your camera, you must study the manual.
    My Gear:
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon Elph 110 HS
    Canon A720IS (retired)

Thread Information