A good macro compact?

Discussion in 'What Camera Should I Buy?' started by cassisaari, Apr 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cassisaari

cassisaari New Member

Hi friends, my Powershot just broke today and I died a little inside. I'm looking for a good quality compact that can take as good of macros as a Canon Powershot, but is not a Canon Powershot (because the last two Powershots I've had had mechanical problems).

Thank you!
    Cassi

Budget
    < $300

Size
    Compact.

Features
    > 8 MP
    Standard zoom
    Image quality importance: 10/10
    Do you care for manual exposure modes (shutter priority, aperture priority, manual)? Would be a huge plus.

General Usage
    What will you generally use the camera for? MACRO, snapshots, photography uploaded to the Internet, but decent quality moderately sized prints would be nice.
    Will you be shooting a lot of indoor photos or low light photos? Yes.
    Will you be shooting sports and/or action photos? Yes.

Miscellaneous
    Are there particular brands you like or hate? Canon Powershot--the last two Powershots I had, the shutter apparatus has fallen apart and the entire front of the camera falls off.
    Are there particular models you already have in mind? No.
    (If applicable) Do you need any of the following special features? (Wide Angle, Image Stabilization, Weatherproof, Hotshoe, Rotating LCD) IS, Rotating screen, weatherproof, would be nice.

2. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

Here are a few very good, small cameras (not Canons) that came out in 08 and are on sale now. They have most of the features of the newer small cameras and are at least their equal in picture quality.
    Fuji F60fd ($154.95 from Adorama Camera), Panasonic F150K (209.95 from Adorama Camera), Panasonic FX500S (touch screen controls, $198.99 from Amazon.com), Sony DSC W300 ($269.95 from Adorama Camera).

3. gglassmeyer

gglassmeyer Active Member

I've got a pentax option w30 that I bought for it's waterproof capabilities and didn't really care about much else, since I have a couple of nice super zoom cameras for "real" photography.

I was really surprised at how well this camera does at macro photography and it will focus even when the lens 1cm away! I would bet that many other optio cameras have similar macro capabilities.

The pentax was purchased after my wife lost a panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ8. The panasonic's macro capability was one of it's strengths. That camera was really good in many ways but just a little lacking in sharpness.

My Fuji S700 has a macro and super macro setting where the macro will focus 4cm away and super will allow you to get within 1cm. This Fuji is anything but compact.

Just try to get your hands on some at local stores and play around with them. When you find one you think you'll like, read some reviews.

4. fast1

fast1 Banned

may i ask how much did you get your pentax for?[​IMG]

5. cassisaari

cassisaari New Member

The most important things I'm looking for are: resolution and macro ability.
    The Powershot SD790 IS has a macro mode of as close as 3 cm. Is there anything that beats that?

Fuji F60d: Wide macro: "Approx. 7cm/2.8 in. to 80cm/2.6 ft."
    Doesn't look like very good macro settings, but I might be mistaken in interpreting it.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX150K: "macro: 5 cm to infinity (wide)"

Panasonic FX500S: "Macro performance is standard fare at best, with the FX500 able to lock closest focus at around two inches in testing."

Sony DSC W300: 5cm-∞ (wide)

6. cassisaari

cassisaari New Member

7. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

Canons are great at macros, but I thought you didn't want another Canon.
    If you want a small Canon, the SD1100is, SD770is, SD790is and SD880is are all fine cameras that take great, close macros. The SD880is is particularly good. A larger Canon that's within your price range is the SX110is, which can shoot macros down to 1 cm.

8. KCook

KCook Well-Known Member

9. gglassmeyer

gglassmeyer Active Member

I got the pentax optio w30 for $90, but it was a display model with only 7 day return. Needless to say, I was a bit leery of jamming it into the aquarium at home to try to test it's waterproof ability before my 7 days were up. I surived (and so did the fish) it's a very small 2.5 gallon aquarium, so I don't have any good pics to show off of the fish. The colorful rocks were sharp looking , but in such a small space it was hard to get either of the goldfish out of hiding.

I think you can find this model for less than $150 brand new online. I would expect other optio models to have the same macro in a non waterproof camera for less money. I just haven't used any other optio's to know.

The optio name sounds like it should be a breakfast cereal in the shape of eyeglasses. Try new Kelloggs Optio's!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.