AA batteries or Chargable battery packs?

Discussion in 'Lenses and Accessories' started by jackaltm, Feb 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Glasstream15

Glasstream15 Active Member

My Rebel XT uses a Li-Ion pack. The grip for it either takes 2 X NB2LH packs or 6 X AAs. My S5IS uses 4 X AA and both Canon Speedlights use 4 X AA. I have been using 2500 mAh Energizers with great success but I just switched to Eneloops. Costco has a kit with 8 X AA and 4 X AAA and a charger for $26, I got 2 kits, and a separate pack of 6 X AA and 2 X AAA for $16, I got 1 pack. Also picked up 6 X AA RayOVac Hybrids and 6 X AAA Hybrids at Target. As of now, I really don't know which brand is better. I tend to think the Eneloops. But it is nice knowing I can charge them and they'll still have a good charge in 6 months.

As far as the Rebel XT and its successors, I like the Li-Ion pack. Trying to cram even 6 X AAA into that body would make it larger and heavier. I know the Pentax uses 4 X AA power, but those batteries add size and weight and the Canon is a 7.2 volt camera, which requires 6 batteries. Yeah, they could build it for 4.8 volt to run on 4 batteries, but the lower voltage would require more amperage which means back to AAs instead of AAAs. And my S5IS uses the grip area to hold the 4 AA Batteries. It would be lighter with a Li-Ion pack but that camera, for me anyway, needs the extra size of the grip.

It's all compromise and what suits the individual. To me, I want the packs in the DSLR because it really needs the extra power density and it makes the bare camera smaller and lighter. For my compact, a little extra size and weight are welcome. Flash guns just all seem to be 4 X AA so that's a moot point. And the DSLR can take the grip if I'm wanting the assurance of extra shooting time or need the extra size for better handling and with the grip I have options of both types of batteries and with both trays, 2 X NB2LH and 6 X AA Eneloop, preloaded I can shoot between 1500 and 2000 shots with a 15 second battery tray change. Best of both worlds.

As I said, both types are needed and useful. Oh. and the Admiral's Olympus Stylus uses a pack too and she has never, and will never, come close to running it down. But she does have a spare battery and carries it fully charged. But she relies on me for most photo work and doesn't use her camera that much anyway.

YMMV

2. jackaltm

jackaltm Member

6 AA's!?
    ouch.

i just got some new rechargables because
    i was ripping through 2 batteries a day.
    the rechargables are 2300 mAh power rating
    and im hoping they will last longer then normal AA's.

Nevertheless i love my camera
    except i would like a camera that is less hard on
    batteries.

3. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

Jackal,

Your A570IS will get much better battery life with rechargeables. If your 2300 mAh rechargeables don't do the job for you, I recommend Sanyo Eneloops, which work great with my A570IS.

4. jackaltm

jackaltm Member

yeah.
    I'm just charging them up tonight.
    but I would rather not carry a 48 pack of
    batteries in my back pocket, so I do hope
    they works out.

I'll keep that in mind though,
    thanks andy.

5. jackaltm

jackaltm Member

agh.
    the rechargables didnt work.
    I'm trying to charge them again but
    if they don't work, I might just have to
    get the ones you suggested.
    by the way, do you know how much they are?

6. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

I bought mine at Amazon - 4 batteries and a charger for less than $25.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2009
  7. Glasstream15

Glasstream15 Active Member

Check this page on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_g...ch-alias=aps&field-keywords=Eneloop&x=16&y=24

And if your rechargeables didn't work I would say you either have bad batteries and/or a bad charger. You need a digital multi0meter, available at Wally-Werld or Home depot or similar for less than $10. Check voltage of the batteries and output of the charger.

Saving money on batteries or chargers is a bad move if you get off brand unknowns. They generally are worth a bit less than you pay. Name brands from a reputable dealer, such as Amazon, is well worth the small amount extra they cost.

8. MoeIsMe

MoeIsMe New Member

Seems that everyone has a beef with either battery. Depends on what you are used to I suppose.

There are ways to make either type of battery (AA or lithium pack) more convenient...

AA's...
    Next time you get a charger, make it 12V DC capable. It's really great to be able to charge from your car. By the way, even though rechargeables don't last as long (per charge) in the camera, they are far more economical than buying standard alkalines over & over. Not to mention that the chemistry is far more eco-friendly for disposal once they are toast.

What AA's??
    There are new NiMh rechargeables on the market..
    Imedion by Maha PowerEx
    Eneloop by Sanyo
    Cycle Energy by Sony

These are high-charge-retention AA's that hold their charge far better than standard NiMh rechargeables. Up to a year at 85% (std NiMh batteries lose 30% per month typically).

Lithium Battery Packs...
    They last longer, and hold their charge longer, and weight less, but take longer to charge.
    BUT, AC & DC combo chargers are available so you can charge yours in your car.

Note also that if you go on expeditions where extension cord cannot follow, the 12V DC chargers can often plug directly into a small solar panel (or solar storage battery), for the ultimate in portability.

I do this portable power stuff for a living, so let me know if anyone has any questions. I've also posted several articles on my website concerning charging specific camera models from alternative energy. Currently I have lots of Nikon & Canon covered...
    http://www.modernoutpost.com/gear/app_power_digital_camera.html
    http://www.modernoutpost.com/gear/app_power_digital_camera_2.html

Cheers!

9. MoeIsMe

MoeIsMe New Member

One last thing... please, if you want to use AA batteries, DO NOT get a "rapid" or "quick" charger from your local electronics shop as your primary charger.
    These things are designed to cram a lot of current into the battery as quickly as possible, and the problem is that the battery chemistry cannot keep up. They will gas and fail prematurely. Conspiracy theory: Duracell, Rayovac, & Energizer are the biggest makers of these chargers, and of course they would love to keep selling you batteries to replace the ones that their chargers kill. Waste!
    Get a proper charger with adjustable rates & refresh/conditioning modes so that you can keep the batteries happy & performing well for their full expected lifetime.

10. Paul79UF

Paul79UF Member

I'm tired of fumbling with AA batteries on my Canon S5 and the 430EX flash.

I'm planning on upgrading to the SX30 and I'm glad they changed it to a battery pack. I wouldn't mind if the flash used a battery pack too.

I usually buy at least 2 generic spare batteries on eBay for each of my cameras. It's usually about $10-12 for two packs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.