ACDSee Pro

Discussion in 'Software' started by Mike22, Jun 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike22

Mike22 Well-Known Member

I just bought ACDSee Pro. All I can say is WOW
    What an amazing piece of software.

I love how it shows histograms and camera ISO etc settings for each photo, and I havent even begun to scrape the surface of what this software can do :)

Here is the website:
    http://www.acdsee.com/
    You can get a free trial there, I highly recommend you do.

And this is the blurb from the website:

2. Quikster

Quikster Well-Known Member

however, most of its users do not want that functionality nor does it have the capabilities of a full fledged photo editor like Paintshop or Photoshop. Also unless you need RAW support there is no reason to get Pro.

from wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ACDSee)

The current version (as of May 2006) is 8. Besides the usual thumbnail viewing of folders and file type conversion, key features of ACDSee include slideshow presentations, CD/DVD burning, HTML gallery creation, image folder syncing and editing/indexing of image metadata like Exif. It is also possible to do minor image manipulation like cropping, scaling and rotating. The price for a full license of ACDSee 8 is US$50.

Problems

As of May 2006, ACDSee has no Unicode support. For example filenames containing Asian characters may not display correctly.

ACDSee originally was a lightweight image viewer with little additional functionality. As the versions have rolled by, ACDSee has become increasingly heavyweight, in fact, to an extent that the later versions are eschewed by some users, in favour of earlier versions, since they are used purely for fast simple image viewing, which doesn't require significant amounts of never-used additional functionality.

3. Quikster

OK I give up I've been trying to get it to let me edit my post but I'll just repost my correction what I meant to say is there is not much reason to get Pro if you do not need RAW support, not no reason

4. Mike22

Mike22 Well-Known Member

Thats true, I just got a good price on the Pro version thats why I bought it.

Its not a photo editor (or is it?)
    I just use it for organizing photos mostly and viewing photo settings.
    I still use Photoshop as well for editing :)

5. Quikster

It can do photo editing but nothing like photoshop or anything.
    But there isn't much need for pro for orgainizing. You can get a free plugin for windows from microsoft for viewing RAW files in explorer.

6. FZ20

FZ20 Active Member

So what does Pro do that the regular version doesn't?

7. Quikster

it allows you to organize RAW files with your photos using this software as well as very minor editing

8. Mike22

Mike22 Well-Known Member

Yes thats about it.
    Good for pro users but not necessary for most people.

9. Wail

Wail Well-Known Member

Well, I downloaded the Pro version; and so far have come to love it.

For those who may have read some of my other, earlier, posts, know that I am not at all a fan of editing pictures. Also, I use a very logical folder structure to store my pictures. But, to retrieve pictures I have always relied on knowing in which folder it is in. Now that has come to be a bit more difficult with the numbers increasing so much .. and I wanted to get into rating them and catogarising them for easy viewing.

I love how ACDsee allows me to see my pictures, with histogram, and metadata, etc. It is ever so easy to tag pictures, catogarise and rate them.

I now want to try to see how good it is with pictures on a server; and with multiple monitors .... I hope it turns out as I want.

One question, does it have a Mac version? I can't seem to find anything along that line .... or are they planning a Mac version?

10. Wail

Wail Well-Known Member

UPDATE

I have been trying the trail version for the past few days, but for the life of me I can't seem to get ACDsee to send me the unlock code for the 30 day's trial! I have emailed them, gone to their web site's support page etc., but all to no avail!

Anyone knows how do I get them to send me the 30 days code .... my trial version runs out in 2 days and I haven't had much time to "test" it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.