1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.
  2. Due to platform maintenance, the forum will be inaccessible for about 10 minutes beginning about 2 p.m. Sorry for any inconvenience! We'll remove this notice when work is complete.

Action / Sports camera recomendation

Discussion in 'What Camera Should I Buy?' started by noodletim, Dec 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. noodletim

noodletim New Member

Hi friends, it's time to upgrade cameras. I'm currently using a Canon PS SX130IS but am thinking it's time for more camera. I have been looking at the premium P and S models and possibly an entry level dSLR. I'm planning on using the new camera for sports and action shots a lot...possibly on a small scale professional level.
    Your thoughts are greatly appreciated!

Budget $500.00 and less

Size Full size

Features

What optical zoom will you need? 16 or greater

* How important is “image quality” to you? Very important

Do you care for manual exposure modes (shutter priority, aperture priority, manual)? Yes, I want to use manual modes

General Usage

* What will you generally use the camera for? Sports, action, landscapes

* Will you be making big prints of your photos or not? Yes

Will you be shooting a lot of indoor photos or low light photos? No

Will you be shooting sports and/or action photos? Yes

Miscellaneous

Are there particular brands you like or hate? No

Are there particular models you already have in mind? Canon, Nikon

Do you need any of the following special features? Great image stabilization, fast burst mode, great image / video quality, viewfinder w/ diopter

2. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

You have two possible choices, an ultrazoom or a DSLR. The main advantage of an ultrazoom is the versatile zoom lens. The disadvantage is image quality, especially in low light and at the long end of the zoom. The main advantage of a DSLR is low light image quality, the main disadvantage is that to get long zoom ability you'll have to invest in a separate lens, which will add at least $200 to your budget.

If you decide to go with an ultrazoom, I recommend the Sony HX200v (30x zoom), the Canon SX50 HS (50x) or the Nikon P510 (42x), The Sony is the quickest overall and has the best movie mode so it probably meets your needs better than the other two.

3. KCook

KCook Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.