1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Adjusting to digital from film

Discussion in 'Photography' started by saturndude, Oct 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. saturndude

saturndude New Member

Re: Photography basics

I was also wondering -- can we get a link to some tutorials, maybe in a persistent thread? Feel free to delete this post if they're on this board, but I haven't found them yet.

I read somewhere how the numbers for focal length on a digicam are not the same as a 35 mm camera, because the sensor is much smaller than 35 mm. I thought I read somewhere that the aperture numbers were different as well, but I cannot find that info just now.

I have shot 200-300 images on 35 mm camera (manual-focus 'rangefinder', 50mm fixed lens) some years ago. I have a good idea what I'm doing. But I need to know the differences with digital. I've heard that a digital with an aperture number of 2.7, for example, is the equivalent of F11 on that old 1964 Voightlander.

(Rolex KY 3-Day Event -- For film, ISO 400, shutter speed 1/125, velocity of horses = 570 meters/minute, seemed to work well). The last couple of years, I borrowed my neighbor's digital. If EXIF data is present, it could say "12mm, F3.2" instead of "72mm, F13" so I still won't know the equivalent 35mm info.

If approximately F11 is the largest opening possible, are shallow depths of field going to be impossible in the digital camera world? Only possible with macro mode? Where can we get info on aperture?

(I bought the Canon A540 last week -- quite nice, but I returned it after about 100 shots. I'm waiting for the Canon S3 to arrive.)

Last edited: Oct 12, 2006
  2. Ben Stafford

Ben Stafford Site Admin

Welcome to the forums, saturndude. I moved your post to a new thread since it seemed like a good idea.

Since the physical focal length is less than what you would find on a 35mm camera, I would assume the DOF of field is affected, but I'm not sure by how much, etc. I'm going to look around some more and see if I can find some good resources for you. Also, someone else my chime in on this thread.

I'm not as sure about how a particular aperture value in digital compares to the same in film. There are a lot of other factors involved at this point (like sensor sensitivity), but I would imagine that digital camera manufacturers have attempted to make the aperture values similar to what they would be in film.

3. Ben Stafford

Ben Stafford Site Admin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.