Advice for Lumix DMC-G6 vs Nikon D5200 vs Sony SLT-A58?

Discussion in 'What Camera Should I Buy?' started by victorgm, Jan 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. victorgm

victorgm Member

Hi everyone!!

i'm new in this forum, so i appreciate in advance all the possible help!! :)

I've been searching a new camera for more than a month (i don't have any), and i think i'm close to the final choice.

I'm to say i'm a young architect, but the main use would be travelling (landscapes, sunsets, cities, and buildings (interiors too), and some close portraits). Therefore, i'm interested on a camera WITH viewfinder (more natural for me), and with good quality at low light conditions (i'm a newbie, so i don't need a expert quality, just a good one).

My original budget was 350€, but i could reach up to 500€ if that extra money really worth the effort.

So, the final list would be two with APS-C and one Lumix with 4/3" (smaller sensor but with really good results).

I'm interested on a good quality of the kit lens (for not having to upgrade them soon), and final IQ (jpeg and raw) and Video quality.

Wifi, folding screen and low-weight (for travelling) would be a nice point, but it's not a breakdealer, it just depend on the price.

So, between these 3 models, which one would you recommend me?

Sony SLT-A58K (+ SAL 18-55mm)
    APS HD / 490g / folding +-180º non-touch screen / no wifi (opt) / 20mp / 350€
    Sony SLT-A58K SLR-Digitalkamera 2,7 Zoll inkl. SAL: Amazon.de: Kamera

Nikon D5200 (+ AF-S DX 18-55mm VRII)
    APS-C / 550g / side-hinged vari-angle non-touch screen / no wifi (opt) / 24mp / 480€
    Nikon D5200 SLR-Digitalkamera 3 Zoll Kit inkl. AF-S DX: Amazon.de: Kamera

Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 (+ 14-42mm Lumix G Vario II)
    4/3" / 390g / side-hinged vari-angle touch screen / full wifi /16mp / 540€ (or 490€ with G Vario ii)
    Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 schwarz + 14-42mm II | Foto Mundus Meppen

About the viewfinder, i like both types, so it's not a breakdealer for me. Maybe i would prefer EVF as it shows more info...but i'm not sure about that :)

So, the first difference is that A58 is 130€ cheaper than Nikon and 190€ than G6 with "14-42mm ii".

Compared to A58, G6 has the 4/3" sensor, but is improved by the "side-hinged vari-angle screen" instead of +-180º folding screen and it has Wifi, touch screen and less weight (better for travelling)...IQ should be similar...but what about video recording? Nikon is heavier, supposedly a little bit better for still images but worst in videos..

I tried yesterday the three of them, and felt D5200 heavier and bulkier...G6 very good size and weight, and A58 same style but with "cheaper" plastic body.

I think i like better the G6, but also because of the "extras" it has...but maybe in the end, the IQ would be similar (and it's the most important point), and the price (more if including the lens v.ii = 540€), would be much higher...so maybe the A58 would be a good purchase...or maybe the G6 it's a better input!

If not, the Lumix DMC-G5 with v.ii would be 395€...

What about the sensor "Single-Lens Translucent" of the Sony? is it a good choice? (i've read opposite comments about it)

Many thanks!!! :)

2. KCook

KCook Well-Known Member

I will come at this from a slightly different perspective:

Sony SLT-A58 is tops for elaborate JPG treatments "in camera" (less need for an advanced editor). It may lead eventually to a Sony A7 full frame CSC.

Nikon D5200 is tops for low light, studio use, and prime lenses (non-zoom). It may lead eventually to a Nikon D610 full frame DSLR.

Panasonic G6 is tops for street photography, super zooms, and adapting antique lenses (manual focusing). It may lead to an Oly E-M1 M4/3 CSC.

I mention those "lead to" cameras for additional consideration. You may have a strong preference among them, or not.

Kelly Cook

3. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

All three cameras are very good. The Nikon and Sony have excellent image and movie quality, the Panasonic not quite as good. But the Nikon and Panasonic have much better build quality than the Sony. The Nikon has a good optical viewfinder but the Panasonic's electronic viewfinder is very good compared to other viewfinders of its type - better than the Sony.

4. victorgm

victorgm Member

Thank you very much both of you :)

Mmm ok then, as it's normal, the three of them has some positive and negative points, but then does it makes sense the effort of 190€ for the G6 compared to the A58?

I prefer some specs of the G6 over the A58 (better kit lens, fully articulated screen instead of folding, better evf, size and weight, etc), but the A58 having a little better IQ and larger sensor makes me wonder if for me makes sense. Also the D5200 is a good choice (better lens market, very good IQ, hybrid AF but not as good for video)...

I've been testing the three of them in this comparison, and the G6 gives some different results (maybe worst?)...what do you think about them?

Studio shot comparison: Digital Photography Review

I started thinking on going instead for a Sony A6000 or Lumix GX7...but i think they're very expensive...and as i'm almost beginner i think i won't use all it's power...

Any final thoughts? or any other model that maybe fits me better? :)

Many thanks! :)

5. Andy Stanton

The A6000 and GX7 are smaller cameras so you can't really compare them to the G6, A58 and D5200.
    Of the three DSLR's the G6 is very strong except for image quality, which is good but not great.
    The D5200 is a good traditional DSLR with no real weaknesses.
    The A58 is the weakest of the three in most respects except it's at least the equal of the Nkon in image and movie quality.

6. KCook

KCook Well-Known Member

The price on the A58 is extra low because it is an obsolete model for Sony. You can also find low prices for the Nikon D5100 and Panny G3.

In my view that "lab" test has nothing to do with real world photography. Compare actual photos from reviews, instead of these lab tests.

The Nikon D5200 has more "power" than either of those!

Whatever camera puts the biggest grin on your face.

Kelly

7. victorgm

victorgm Member

Many thanks again!! :)

I think the final battle is between D5200 and G6...(fully articulated screen makes somehow a difference).

So, better IQ and low light vs better VQ and size/weight...

And here i discover the new D5300, with some improvements (including supossedly video), than with 50€ cashback would be 550€ (10€ more than G6 with 14-42mm ii).

But i just read about it in here and makes me doubt...what do you think about that?

http://www.eoshd.com/2014/02/nikon-d5300-review

Thanks again!! :)

8. Andy Stanton

I'd go for the D5200.

9. victorgm

victorgm Member

Hi again! :)

Thank you very much Andy Stanton!!

I would like to buy the camera tomorrow morning (little travel to the snowed castle Neuschwanstein near Munich coming this weekend), so i've to decide now!

So, the final battle was between Lumix G6 (540€ with improved kit lens) and D5200 (460€) / D5300 (550€).

But now...another one appeared..the Samsung NX30 for 540€. I've read some very good reviews about it, and with same/better quality than G6 (compared it is an APS-C sensor, 20mp, hybrid AF, Oled screen, better EVF, higher iso performance, more focus points and better max. shutter speed), and for the same price...

What do you think about it? have you tried it?

I've also been looking the Sony NEX-6 (600€), and a little step up, the Sony A6000 (660€) and Lumix GX7 (670€), but i'd be exceeding very much my budget (it was 400€ aprox)...and as i'm moreless amateur, i think it doesn't make sense for the moment, unless there could be a huge difference i'll really notice...also i tried for ex. the Sony A6000 in a store, and i didn't like very much the ergonomics...i felt it was going to fall to the floor...but of course i could get used to it!

Then, between Nikon D5200/D5300 and Lumix G6 / Samsung NX30; i think i prefer the second group. The main reason is the size and weight, as i don't really want to feel bulky and heavy the camera, and with the first one (and maybe in the future with improved lens), i think i will, and maybe i'll leave it at home in some ocassions just for that reason. EDIT: it would be most with D5200, as the D5300 is lighter (480gr), still 110gr more than NX30 and 90gr than G6...

I know the Nikons have better IQ, but i think i'm more interested in something more portable (with high IQ too of course), but with the possibility of upgrading it in the near future (maybe wide angle lens first), so compact cameras are out of the list.

About the brand Samsung, i've read the make very good quality products in photography, but they're like hidden or not recognised, do you think it could be a reasonable choice? and what about the lens market?

Hope this will be the last-question-post!

I really appreciate all your help and patience!! :)

Last edited: Jan 27, 2015
  10. Andy Stanton

The Samsung NX30 would be a good alternative to the Panasonic G6 - it's similar in size, weight, appearance, performance and image quality. Between the NX30 and G6 I'd probably take the NX30 if priced the same. But since the NX30 is somewhat more expensive, I'd call it a toss-up.

As far as lenses are concerned, Panasonic has many more of better quality.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.