Advice on lens with Canon T5i and extended warranty good??

Discussion in 'What Camera Should I Buy?' started by fredbergy, Nov 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fredbergy

fredbergy New Member

Hi,

i'm a newbie that will buy it's first semi-pro camera. My search ended up with Canon T5i.

I want to have a lens for zooming, another do it all one (as the 18-55mm), macro one and another for taking picture in low light.

I'm in Canada and the best deal i found was at futureshop.

Price is in canadian fund but now they are basically the same value!

with 18-55mm lens : 730$ (regular price 799$)

with 18-135mm lens : 899$ (regular price 999$)

And this awesome kit including 40mm+18-55mm+75-300mm : 899$ (regular price 1279$)

Is the last kit is the best deal?

Do i have to worry about the gap (from 55-75mm) with this kit or never mind?

For all these kit is the same cost for an extended warranty. For 4 years it's 209$. It cover all the lenses and T5i body.(don't apply if it's dropped on the floor, in water...) Only for electronic failure.. It include 4 body cleaning by a professional shop (once a year). The warranty is transferable so if i sell the body in 2 years the body will still be covered by a warranty..

So do you think it's a good deal??

Is a Canon T5i and the canon lens can have electronic failure?

Your advice on this?

Thanks a lot for your response!!!

Fred

2. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

For general shooting the 18-135mm lens is more versatile (7x optical zoom) than the 18-55mm lens (3x) but it's considerably larger and heavier. I'd pick up the Canon 50mm f/1.8 lens for portraits, low light and macros. As far as a long zoom lens is concerned the Canon 75-300mm lens is fine unless you need to shoot indoor action shots, in which case a lens with a wider aperture would be preferable.

3. fredbergy

fredbergy New Member

4. Andy Stanton

As far as an extended warranty is concerned it doesn't cover damage due to drops, which is the main cause of problems. I don't think yearly cleaning is necessary for DSLR's but electronic failures do occur (infrequently) so an extended warranty does have some value. I'd pay $50 for it, perhaps $100 but not $200.

5. KCook

KCook Well-Known Member

The 75-300 is not a highly rated lens. And the 18-135 would not be worth an extra $170 to me. I would just get the basic 18-55 setup. Take your time adding more lenses.

Kelly Cook

6. Andy Stanton

7. fredbergy

fredbergy New Member

Yeah some people tell me on other forum that the 75 300mm lens is one of the poorest of canon... And it don't have IS so exceeding 150mm in zoom should be a problem without stabilization...

A lot of people tell me that the 18-135mm is better then the 18-55mm (more focal range then the 55mm)

The T5i kit with the 18-135mm will be at 799$ next weekend at futureshop.

Will be a better deal? I will start with that and buy other lens after that. I heard good thing about the Canon 50mm 1.8 for macro photo i will probably buy that and check fora zoom lens probably a 75-300mm but with IS!!!

8. KCook

KCook Well-Known Member

IS is really overrated. An action subject needs a high shutter speed anyways, which makes IS moot.

The Canon 55-250 is generally recommended over the 75-300.

Kelly

Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.