Another comparison...Canon SD870 IS vs Nikon S510

Discussion in 'What Camera Should I Buy?' started by clb, Dec 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. clb

clb Member

There isn't much on the S510 on the internet.

Any comments?

Also, what exactly is the difference between optical image stablization and lens shift stablization?! :S I'm confused

2. David Rasnake

David Rasnake News/Review Writer News/Review Writer

The Coolpix S series doesn't get a whole lot of press, perhaps because Canon has asserted itself so dominantly with the SD cameras.

As far as the difference in stabilization methods, while they call them different things, I believe both of these cameras actually use a lens shifting optical stabilization method. I'll check that to be sure, but I believe Nikon's VR (which claims to be "optical image stabilization") is, in fact, also shifting lens elements, in the same way that their SLR system works...

I'm wrapping up a review of the Coolpix S700 right now (should be published on this site next week), and my impressions of it are very good overall. It's certainly capable of pictures to rival the Canons, and performs much better in low light than I was expecting. I imagine the S510, with its 8 megapixel sensor, will do even better in this regard.

Overall, the S870 IS provides a slightly wider zoom, and is a slightly faster camera all around (the Nikon has really slow flash recycle times for a li-ion powered camera). On the flip side, the Nikons (I'm assuming the 510 uses the same general specs as the 700) have great looking flash shots, good low light performance, sharper optics, and I would tentatively say better image quality.

The Nikon interface is its own thing. I like it, but it's not as familiar as the Canon-type interface that's on about half the cameras on the market now. It's definitely worth checking the Nikons out, though.

Hope this helps,
    dr

3. clb

clb Member

Thanks David.
    I guess the only difference I'm looking at is the different lens 28mm vs 35mm (3.6x vs 2x) and a 3" vs 2.5" screen... hmm

Price difference between the two cameras is about $100.

4. David Rasnake

I like the Canon SD870 IS a lot. It's certainly a great camera.

That said, I'm not sure that it's $100 better than the Nikon.

Just my thoughts,
    dr

5. clb

clb Member

Know if there's a safety zoom so that we'll know whether we're going into the digital zoom from the optical zoom? 'Cause I didn't see it mentioned anywhere in reviews.

6. David Rasnake

I'm working from memory here on the 870, but I'm sure that it at least has a clear indication when you move into digital zoom. It can also be disabled completely on the Canon and the Nikon, I believe.

dr

7. clb

clb Member

I see...hmm, I guess I'll go check it out :)
    Hopefully there'll be a price drop in a few months since I'm not getting it over the boxing week sale

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.