Another 'what should I buy'...

Discussion in 'What Camera Should I Buy?' started by Clare, Mar 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Clare

Clare Member

My old Olympus 500 literally fell apart (I've been carrying it in my purse, all the time, because I shoot some photos for work) so I'm looking for new, for both me and my job.

Budget: Max $400, prefer 300 ish or even less..

Size: medium (it's a big purse)

Features: macro capability, easy to see screen, some opportunity for manual control--choice of aperture or shutter priority, etc, but want point and shoot capability as well.

How many megapixels will suffice for you? Five would be plenty

* What optical zoom will you need? 8x or higher

* How important is “image quality” to you? (Rate using a scale of 1-10)8

Do you care for manual controls? some, see above. could live without if need be

General Usage

* What will you generally use the camera for? nature shots, (flowers, birds, etc--hence the desire for macro and high optical zoom. ) For job, will use to shoot events, people shots, both close up and far away Also will use for ebay; want to be able to do macro for small items, trademarks, etc

* Will you be making big prints of your photos or not? Not

Will you be shooting a lot of indoor photos or low light photos? Possibly

Will you be shooting sports and/or action photos? Catching birds in flight would be nice...

Miscellaneous

Are there particular brands you like or hate? I like my olympus and would like to be able to use my current XD memory cards, but am open to suggestion.

Are there particular models you already have in mind? Open

(If applicable) Do you need any of the following special features? (Wide Angle, Image Stabilization, Weatherproof, Hotshoe, Rotating LCD)

Image stabilization if I'm going up to the higher zooms. Would like it to be sturdy--I do like to keep it with my all the time.

Delighted to find this forum; used laptop reviews.com for the computer I'm using at this moment. I look forward to the same friendlines and expertise here!

2. Ben Stafford

Ben Stafford Site Admin

If you want as much zoom as you do (and manual exposure modes), then the cameras are going to be a bit bigger, like the Canon Powershot S3 IS or Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ8.

If you want a slightly smaller camera and are willing to trade off some zoom, then the Canon Powershot A710 IS (6x zoom) or more advanced Canon Powershot G7 (also 6x zoom) may be good options.

If you want to stick with Olympus, I would mention the latest SP-550 UZ model. It has an 18x optical zoom, but it's above your price range.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.