1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.
  2. Due to platform maintenance, the forum will be inaccessible for about 10 minutes beginning about 2 p.m. Sorry for any inconvenience! We'll remove this notice when work is complete.

Another "Which Bridge Camera Should I buy?" - Different choices

Discussion in 'What Camera Should I Buy?' started by Bateman, Nov 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bateman

Bateman New Member

Soon I will be off on my holidays for the whole Christmas and New Years period and I have decided that I would like to invest in a nice little powerful camera to get those perfect nature and scenery shots.
    I am a complete newbie to proper photography but I popped down to my local camera shop today but I came out of the shop more confused than I was before I went in.
    After browsing through comparison websites I think I have whittled it down to two cameras -
    Canon PowerShot SX50 HS
    Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200

I am use to my Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS10 (TZ20) but I am looking for a camera that will give me a quicker response when taking a photo (for passing wildlife etc) but also the options available of a higher end camera for such things as long shutter for motion still pictures (probably not the correct wording so apologies if you don't understand that)

The reason I am looking at a bridge camera is because I would like the ease of the AUTO option where I can just point and shoot without having to always worry about what setting I have the camera on. However, also having the options there for me to explore my photography skills would be good.

If I could get the opinion of the above 2 cameras that would be great but I am also open to hear recommendations of other cameras you think would suit me.

2. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

I'd go with the Canon SX50 HS. The Panasonic FZ200 was considered the best ultrazoom prior to the SX50 HS but the Canon's amazing 50x zoom (with a focal length of 24mm - 1200mm), combined with typical high-quality Canon image quality, makes it a more attractive option than the 24x FZ200.

3. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

One thing that may be important to you - while the Canon SX50 HS is a quick camera, the FZ200 is even quicker, in both autofocusing and shot-to-shot speed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.