anybody use Panasonic Lumix LZ8?

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by vince_wonk, Apr 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. USART

USART Member

What would you give the LZ10 out of 10?

2. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

Since I don't have any personal experience with the LZ10, I can't answer the question.

3. USART

USART Member

4. gglassmeyer

gglassmeyer Active Member

I just got one 7/14/2008. The reason I chose it: The image stabilization, the lens has high 5x (up to 8 in extra optical zoom) optical zoom plus decent wide angle. I liked the high iso, manual capability, several metering and exposure options, easy to use, compact, uses AA batteries. Good video perfomance.

I went back and forth between the LZ8 and the Canon A590. Either choice it's hard to go wrong.

5. jsneddon

jsneddon New Member

yeah... video performance is pretty dang good too - forgot to mention that part.

And the AA batteries is a huge thing. Slap some NiMh rechargables in and you're good to go.

6. April77

April77 Active Member

7. Tinderbox (UK)

Tinderbox (UK) Well-Known Member

I have taken identical photo`s with my LZ8 and Canon A590 outside in daylight.

And when compared the A590 pictures are considerable sharper with more detail and the images have a better contrast when zoomed in.

Image quality on the LZ8 = 7 out of 10

Image quality on the A590 = 8 out of 10

Last edited: Jul 30, 2008
  8. gglassmeyer

gglassmeyer Active Member

I'm not sure what to think of that review. The only things that are mentioned are image quality. I don't agree at all with the scores for features and value for the money. I had a Nikon L10 that was around $100 US when I bought it a little over a year ago. The LZ8 is only about $50 more than that and is far superior. It has tons of features and I can't think of many options is doesn't have (optical viewfinder and manual focus are 2 that I can think of). Image quality is about what I'd expect from a camera in it's price range for a compact point and shoot camera. The images I've taken with mine are very good for P&S camera and I'd agree with a 7 out of 10 on image quality. I'd give it an 8 out of 10 on features and a 9 on value. There's a lot packed into this small camera and at $150, it's well worth the price.

9. Tinderbox (UK)

I got a bit of dirt on my lens today, I tried using the edge of piece of paper to pick it off, but all it bid was smear it across the lens.

Luckily i have a lens pen, but it`s far too big to clean the lens, so i had to use the edge of the pen and managed to clean all the dirt off.

The size of the lens make it awkward to clean!

Last edited: Jul 30, 2008
  10. Tinderbox (UK)

I am sending the LZ8 back and getting an Sony W300 , I was not happy with the sharpness and detail of the image on they LZ8

I still have my Canon A590 for a cheap point an shoot camera!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.