anyone own Fuji FinePix S100fs

Discussion in 'Fuji (Fujifilm)' started by dmatukian, Jul 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dmatukian

dmatukian New Member

I am highly considering buying this camera. My main concerns are the Super CCD smudging, the apparent Chromatic Aberrations that plague the camera, and the strange Manual Focusing i've heard described. Can anyone who owns this camera help me out a bit and put some of my concerns to rest or let me know if they are something i absolutely should be concerned with?

2. spintyer

spintyer Well-Known Member

It takes great pics, as far as the aberrations go there are some, if you really blow the picture up and know where to look, I have NOT had an issue with the aberrations at all. I don't know, but it seemed to help when I added a UV filter to the camera, maybe this is why I don't seem to get much in the way of aberrations.
    Even in the reviews I have read I've haven't heard of super CCD smudging, nor have I seen it on any of my pics, but I've only taken a couple thousand pictures with this camera so far.
    As far as the "strange" manual focusing, this is news to me, as it is done with a focusing ring, same as manual cameras of the past. You can set up a magnified focus area to help you, or you can follow the lines the camera gives you to focus with.
    On the whole I think it's a great camera, and would purchase it again if in the position to do so. It's not a DSLR, but gets you as close to them as possible without buying one.

3. rp2s

rp2s Active Member

It's the best overall camera I've used to date. I have not seen any CA pop up in my photos. The zoom is fantastic, as well as its macro abilities. I sold my Pentax digital SLR after I purchased my S100fs. Granted, my Pentax was a 2004 vintage. The low noise super-CCD sensor is worth its weight in gold. It is not as clean as a dSLR, but it's much better than any other compact.

You can shoot some awesome movies also. I like the manual zoom control. It's much more accurate than the standard electronic zoom buttons. The manual focus is another story. It works, but it's not nearly fast enough in the real world. One last thing worth mentioning, the tilting LCD is a very nice extra bonus. Great for macros and other unique shots.

Closing statement; I stopped looking/reading camera reviews, as I believe I've found the best camera for my needs. I also use a Canon SD890 IS when I don't want to carry a camera around all day.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.