Anyone own the DMC-FZ30

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by daacon, Feb 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. daacon

daacon Member

Hi there

I am in the market for a new camera and this one has caught my eye. I have read all the reviews. I am not too concerned about the claims of high noise in low lights and ISO 400 as for me most photos will be cut to a DVD for slide shows and very few if any will be printed at an 8x10 size , besides photo editing can fix some of this. The other feature I really like is movies 30fps at 640x480 (I like to take clips of these games as well)

My main use (that I want it for) will be action shots for sports. (Kids basketabll / football / lacrosse). Some summer activities , baseball , water sports ,etc ... I have owed a few point and shoots (Sony DSC85 and currently a Canon A95 - have also used a Canon Digital XLT )

Curious if anyone here owns one and can offer some of personal insight.

thx...........dy

2. Ben Stafford

Ben Stafford Site Admin

Unfortunately, I don't have one, but its one that I usually recommend when people are looking for a long zoom camera.

3. daacon

daacon Member

Thanks for the reply - the reviews are good - pretty sure this is what I will get - be hundreds less than a SLR and a SLR does not offer movie mode. To get a decent zoom lens is more $$$ so I figure this set up should meet my needs and I don't need a bag of lenses .

I did notice the FZ30 has a couple of add on lenses if the need arises. Do you know off hand where I can get on in Alberta , Canada ?

Thx.........dy

4. Ben Stafford

Ben Stafford Site Admin

Can't help you there, my shopping prowess is virtually limited to where I can find it online. :)

5. daacon

daacon Member

Yeah trouble for me is most online shops are US based and then I have to deal with customs .....duty charges may make the online price same as retail here ....... oh well I will keep looking , thx again

6. Tim

Tim Member

Heard nothing but good about this camera. It came out late last year so should be widely available in all camera stores now.

i would get it in a flash if I could afford it.

7. beckyguinn

beckyguinn New Member

I have this camera and it does awesome for sports. Check out my website beckyguinn.com , go to view proofs , and then click on sports. These are from my sons tball game.

8. AaronM

AaronM News/Review Writer News/Review Writer

Since Last June

I've been using a FZ30 since June 06, having a FZ15 before that, and am quite happy. I do about 1/2 outdoor and the other half macro work, and it works well for both. I have found that the flip-down LCD and the zoom ring are a great improvement over the FZ15, as is the ability to use normal filters(FZ15 needed to use a filter attachment and 72mm filters). In comparison to other digital cameras I have used, the speed of operation is one of the best things about this, and the FZ line in general. It takes film-like times to start and take pictures.

Even at ISO 100, I find that noise is somewhat of a problem, but if I think of it as a really good 5mp camera, rather than a noisy 8mp, then it works quite well. Software can only do so much for noise correction.

and the requisite links to pictures:
    a trip to Paris http://www.wiglaf.org/~aaronm/paris2006/
    one of my watches http://www.wiglaf.org/~aaronm/watches/tn/2100 wobbler.JPG.html

Aaron

9. Ben Stafford

Ben Stafford Site Admin

Welcome to the DCR forums! ;) One of my colleagues has an FZ50, which is the successor to the FZ30. The FZ50 has a newer processor and is a bit better with noise issues, but it can still be noticeable. If you read Panasonic reviews, noise performance is an almost constant issue in the reviews that you read. But you're right about the speed - they have always performed quickly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.