Anyone using a Mac AND None-Mac PC?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Wail, Apr 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wail

Wail Well-Known Member

Now I have posted this under “software” since my underline quandary is the applications used and not the machines themselves.

I am wondering if anyone is using both platforms at the same time, not someone who’s had one and now shifter to the other.

My question is, what application do you use on each? Is one better than the other? If you are using the same application on both (say Photoshop) do you notice one running better than the other?

I say this as I am planning for my next machine to be a Mac, and I am in love with these machines. I am planning to wait until Santa Rosa is out before I make the move, but am doing as much homework as possible before the time comes.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

2. Wail

Wail Well-Known Member

One more thing, I have asked this here and not in the NBR forum as I am looking for feedback from photographers and not just any computer user.

Thanks,

3. Ben Stafford

Ben Stafford Site Admin

While I am a non-Mac user, I think that photography is one of those areas in which Macs are just as good as non-Macs. Since so many design/art/photography people use Macs, the imaging-related software available for Macs is very good from what I can tell.

4. Wail

Wail Well-Known Member

Ben,

Thank you for the reply.

From what I have read, the best applications are available for both platforms; take Photoshop for example. Now, there are some Mac specific applications, like Aperture from Apple, but I have to say that I am not a very keen user of photo-enhancing / editing applications.

Since the best applications are available for the two platforms, I am inclined to “think” any application running on one platform would have the same functions and ease of use while running on the other platform as well. So, this is one of my concerns. I really am trying to pinpoint is if one platform is “generally” better to use, runs smoother, and is less of a hassle.

Now, most Mac / Apple users are very zealous about their devotion to that brand, and hence their feedback would be very biased; while on the flip side of this, none-Mac users knock-off Macs for being too expensive for what they offer plus a few other issues.

In the end, would getting a Mac be a better experience? And so, this is why I am hoping that someone here is using both platforms.

After all, if I was to make the move it would be a huge investment in time and money. Not only for the extra cost of Mac platform, but to acquire all my applications for Mac would mean money to be spent; then there is the cost of time to learn this new platform, not to mention if there are any conversions to my data. Oh, and the books too.

So, if someone can shed me some light here, as I am very keen on making the move. One of the prime reasons is the “lack” of virus attacks.

Again, thank you Ben, for your reply.

5. Ben Stafford

Ben Stafford Site Admin

If you do start looking around at Photoshop books, you'll notice that most of them are illustrated with screenshots from a Mac OS. Historically, Macs have been the choice of people in the graphics/imaging industry. Frankly, I'm not sure if this is because of usability, stability, or any other type of quantifiable measurement. Personally, since I use Windows primarily, I don't have a problem with Windows usability, but then again, I may not really know what I'm missing.

There are a lot of "religious"-type arguments either way, but to me, it really comes down to a personal preference after all the arguments about hardware, usability, performance are tuned out.

6. Wail

Wail Well-Known Member

Again, thank you Ben.

I used to be an Apple owner, back in the days when the IIe, III, and Lisa (the precursor to the Mac), but with time I sadly abandoned that platform. The only reason for my jumping across was the cost of ownership; Macs were, and still are, generally more expensive to own.

Now I am very convinced of moving back and I regret to think that the reason why Apple / Mac fairs well in the graphics and education world is mainly because of the mind-set of the people in that field.

As I said in my pervious posts, moving over would be very expensive due to the number of machines I have at my household, and as much as I would want to phase in such a change – to reduce the financial overhead – it would still be expensive. So, if there is no “real” advantage to making this move then I may only do it for the machine I use primarily while leaving all the others with Windows on none-Macs.

As a last point on this, I know that there is a pleasure in the novelty and luxury of using an Apple over, say, an Acer or a Toshiba Satellite, but I don’t want this to influence my move at all.

7. bTaryag

bTaryag Well-Known Member

I use a PC, but I plan on getting a Mac when I need a new computer. Basically for reasons of stability, and the idea that it does what it is supposed to do.

Check out this link
    http://ptech.wsj.com/archive/ptech-20070405.html
    where Walt Mossberg says that he gets a 34 second boot time from his 3 year old Mac. For that alone it's worthwhile!

8. M@lew

M@lew Member

I used to use a PC, but now that I'm on a Mac, I prefer it as most things as integrated with each other, making it easier to edit and organise photo's.

9. Gautam

Gautam Well-Known Member

@Wail - Try out GIMP, which is available for Mac, Windows and Linux for free. It is as powerful as Photoshop (for what most people are doing).

10. Wail

Wail Well-Known Member

Gautam,

Thank you for the link, I have had a look at this application a while ago but my main need is for something for archiving, specifically on a remote server, and not image manipulation ....

I am not sure how this application fairs in that field, but I will give it another look. Thanks again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.