Beginner Questions

Discussion in 'Photography' started by justme, Mar 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. justme

justme Well-Known Member

I have a headache from reading posts on a emssage board regarding those two cameras. It feels like all ultrazooms suck after reading so many posts stating how horrible the sony and canon are at many things and how the canon s95 is "much" better IQ than the SX230. A lotof people seeme xcited about the Sony HX9V and nobody seems to care about the canon SX230 being released. yet there are a ton of horrible comments aboutt he Sony stating that Sony only wanted to trick people out of money bwith the whole 16MP is automatically better trick and that detail is totally lacking in the Sony pics.

2. KCook

KCook Well-Known Member

The Canon A-series on that Wiki list require the CHDK firmware hack. Canon never designed those cameras for RAW. Hardly any beginners go the CHDK route. I put my own thoughts on RAW on this post -

http://forum.digitalcamerareview.com/65269-post4.html

As I said before, easy to find lots of exaggeration on message boards.

Kelly

3. justme

justme Well-Known Member

I just hate the thought of losing quality. I'm pretty much a perfectionist. But apparently there aren't many RAW options for point and shoots.l

And what's getting very discouraging is seeing ZERO point and shoots are thought of as having great IQ by nearly everybody. On that popular camera forum site I was on there were even tons of people bashing the canon S95 which is rated well most places.

4. KCook

KCook Well-Known Member

Well "bashing" is considered sport on some sites. I avoid most of those, simply time wasters.

5. justme

justme Well-Known Member

Well I'll probably take some pics later today since I'll ahve my new sd card iw as waiting on and already got my cable. No good oppurtiunities arose or I would have used an old card if it was worth the hassle. So i'lls ee what I think, but there does seem to be some truth to claims that these cameras of recent years are actually pumping out worse IQ than cameras from several years earlier. I do see artifacts in most pics from recent cameras in the samples while there seem to be even less in pics which I believe were taken by cell phones. The technical things that are better won't mean so much if the general picture is covered in artifacts or smudges. So I shall hopefully soon see for myself.

6. justme

justme Well-Known Member

What's BEYOND frustrating thus far is this: point and shoots are known for being mediocre in abd lighting and much better in good lighting, right? WELL THEN in good lighting you can't even SEE the freakin lcd. So it's not ideal in ANY lighting. I amazingly seem to have gotten decent video (very shaky though since it was my first time trying it), but the whole time I was filing I couldn't even SEE what in the world I was doing due to so much glare on the LCD. I don't know if one of the 900+k screens will make any difference as compared to this 400+k one or if it's still going to be the same in sunshine. Also I haven't played back the video on a tv or computer yet to see how well it truly did. I just watched on the LCD.

So I'm not quite as happy to elarn any of this when it seems so limited with any point or shoot, but hopefully I'll ease into figuring out the best usage.

7. KCook

KCook Well-Known Member

Sorry if this sounds flip, but you are experiencing why the $450 Canon G12 has an optical viewfinder. Most compact shoppers don't want to deal with the extra bulk for a viewfinder. Pocketablility above all else. Even if they have to squint in sunlight.

8. justme

justme Well-Known Member

I'm not so sure the majority even want pocketability over the viewfinder as I see all the time people complaining that compacts usually don't have a viewfinder. When these manufacturers keep pumping out way too many cameras each you'd think they'd each make one or two with a viewfinder.

I really always figured well they're exaggerating about glare, but this was seriously terrible. I tried to cup my hand over it to knock out the sun, but that usually didn't work either. It sure takes a lot of fun out of taking pictures when you have to deal with that.

9. justme

justme Well-Known Member

Anyone know why my tv would say the input source is 1080i when it's claimed that the sx230 is 1080p?

Also I wonder what people do to take pictures of storms. I assume you're not supposed to get the camera wet.

10. justme

justme Well-Known Member

Bump. Still no clue what people do for storms. Surely you don't have to buy an expensive waterproof case just for taking a pic of the sky when it's raining.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.