Best and worst printer brands?

Discussion in 'Photo Printers' started by Mike22, Feb 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike22

Mike22 Well-Known Member

From my research, Ive discovered that most people buy Canon and Epson printers rather than Lexmark and HP.

This is mainly due to the ink cartride arrangements.

HP have expiring ink cartridges which means they are basically useless if the ink sites there for a couple of months.
    Lexmark have very expensive cartride replacements and there are no alternative brands.

Epson and Canon both have alternative brands of ink which makes these printers more cost effective.

2. FZ20

FZ20 Active Member

Yes thats right about the ink for HP and Lexmark, this can cost up to $50 or more for replacement ink.

Canon and Epson ink can be bought for as low as $15 for genuine and under $10 for non genuine :)

3. avisitor

avisitor Well-Known Member

That's true, but I've never heard of HP ink expiring. My lexmark at my summer home sat for about 3 weeks with a full cartridge of ink, and when I came back, all gone. As far as the HP that's been there for the past year and a half, it's held it's ink just fine.

4. camerashy

camerashy Member

This is why printers are so cheap. It's because they make their money up with the sales of ink. And they are expensive! I've always used HP Printers just because I'm too lazy to shop other brands. However, I did purchase a bum HP and exchanged it for a Brother. It does pretty good for what I used it for but the ink still is obnoxiously priced.

I've never heard of HP ink expiring either. Do you mean it evaporates or dries up?

5. Mike22

Mike22 Well-Known Member

Yeah I think the ink dries up and will not print clearly, it becomes blotchy.
    I still have my old canon printer, didnt cost me much and I get quite cheap refills.
    I did have a HP printer once, the thing just broke on me and wouldnt print pages so I threw it out..

6. FZ20

FZ20 Active Member

Yeah I think its just a marketing thing more than anything else.
    Same with food, most foods are edible well after the expiration date. Its sort of to cover the companies back if something does happen after that date, they can say "we told you not to use it"

7. Josh Dollins

Josh Dollins News/Review Writer News/Review Writer

I've always used HP. Currently have a 4yr old all in one (it does photos among the many things it does) I paid about 350 for it. I have replaced ink 1-2 times and for photos use HP paper.

NExt printer I get though will probably be a canon.

8. Mike22

Mike22 Well-Known Member

Sounds like HP ink lasts a long time, thats a good thing.
    I have found canon printers go through ink fast, so the costs can add up there too if you have to replace ink every month.

9. Gautam

Gautam Well-Known Member

Whatever you do, don't get Epson.

While it's cost effective, separate inks, and cheap printing units, the heads clog up and the inks dry out. You'll always need to be replacing inks and cleaning the inkjet heads.

If you are looking for cost effectiveness and good quality, Canon Pixma is great.

10. j.bravo

j.bravo New Member

My home printer is HP. Didn't really bother buying original cartridges (no, im not a cheapskate---I'm practical :D ) I usually get my compatible HP inkjet cartridges, epson printer cartridges, tektronix print cartridges, pitney bowes ink cartridges and minolta toner cartridges online. So with all the printers in our house, obtaining such assortment of cartridges under one roof is heaven sent.

I have yet to encounter any problem from using compatibles. Once in a blue moon, I use refill kits. I know (through experience) that refilling a cartridge more than once will diminish the quality of the output.

Anywho, these are my suggestions. For paperworks or B/W, go for HP. For printing photos, try Epson. For those CDs and DVDs, Canon is what most people prefer. I don't really print a lot of colored documents, but if i need to...I can use my trusty HP.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2008
  11. Thomash

Thomash Well-Known Member

I've had bad experiances with HPs but good with Dell.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.