Best camera under 250 dollars

Discussion in 'What Camera Should I Buy?' started by apb31, May 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. apb31

apb31 New Member

Hey again,
    Im looking at getting a point and shoot camera that I can use for everyday purposes. It needs to be relatively small, im gonna use it when im hiking and walking down by the ocean, and I would also like to take pictures of friends/family.

Budget:
    Under 250 us dollars

Size:
    Relatively compact

Megapixels:
    not really important, around 6-8 I suppose

Zoom: Again not that important but more than 3x would be nice

Some manual controls would be nice, but not that necessary

General Usage: All around camera, for taking on trips, pics of family, landscapes, etc...

It would be nice to have wide angle for landscape photos, and image stabilization, otherwise nothing special.

Ive been looking at the Canon Powershot SD870IS and the Panasonic DMC TZ-4. Which would be a better camera out of those two?

Also, i would like to be able to take some pictures in museums, preferably without flash, so id like the noise levels not to be too bad, and Id like the photo to come out decent. I know with under 250 dollars it would be hard to get a decent low light camera, but just so that the pictures are better then my old Nikon coolpix 3700.

Thanks again..

2. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

Of the two cameras you mention, the Panasonic TZ4 would be more versatile due to its 10x optical zoom, though both cameras are very good. Both would take decent pictures in low light.

3. rp2s

rp2s Active Member

For low light photos without the flash, I would suggest the Fuji F50fd. I think its Super-CCD sensor is superior to the other sensors in low light. It has 12mp and a 3x zoom. I believe you can find it online for around $200.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.