Best Configuration to shoot in fog

Discussion in 'Photography' started by rowman, Feb 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rowman

rowman Well-Known Member

Thanks for the information.

I have uploaded two 100% crop straight out of the camera. c1 is the water and c2 is the sky.

It was neither dark nor light, something in between that is why you see this color. It was the same also in reality.

So having manual focus option is not big a deal specially when you are away from macro shooting.

The question is if the camera AF is also based on this kind of fixed steps or they just can not provide end-user the continuous manual focusing option. if so, then to have a more or less good focus a rough estimate of the distance should be enough I guess.

Regards,

Attached Files:

2. KCook

KCook Well-Known Member

Interesting noise in those detail images. Which sometimes happens with a small sensor compact when the exposure is off only a small amount. Bracket the exposure by 1/3 stop and you may find one of those images has milder noise. But to get results a lot better you will have to switch up to a lot more expensive camera.

AF is continous. The MF on compacts is a crutch. Use it only when the AF just doesn't get the job done. Even for macros I would use AF. If the AF seems to be getting a macro focus off by a slight amount, try using AF (in spot mode) on subject matter at the distance you want, then lock the focus (not always easy to do), then reframe for the composition you wanted.

Kelly

3. rowman

rowman Well-Known Member

Thanks kelly for the information on focus.

OK... So it seems that I should stick with the post processing to work on the results for now .;)

And, it actually works to some extent I believe.

4. KCook

KCook Well-Known Member

PP is a whole art in itself. Photography is not a good bet for instant gratification. There are lots and lots of different PP tools out there too. I still have not found an image editor that I am 100% happy with.

Kelly

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.