Best Depth of Field (Blur); Sony RX 100 or Sony NEW 6

Discussion in 'What Camera Should I Buy?' started by Starkisd, Aug 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Starkisd

Starkisd New Member

I like the size of the RX100, but the versatility of the NEX 6. I do enjoy taking pictures, where at times, the backgrounds are blurred and family members stand out in focus (usually from the waist up). Deciding between these 2 cameras, for those of you who have experience with these, which takes pictures with the shallowest/most depth of field (bokeh)? I would probably be using a Sony 35mm F 1.8 or similar fast prime lens for the shallow depth of field on the NEX. Thank you for your guidance.

2. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

For a shallow depth of field you need a lens with a wide aperture. The RX100 has a lens range starting at F/1.8 at the wide angle end and F/4.9 at the telephoto end. However if you try to shoot the RX100 at the wide angle /F/1.8 aperture you'll be so close to the subject that barrel distortion might result. So it's better to shoot with the NEX 6 using an f1.8 lens with a medium focal length, like the $300 Sony 50mm f/1.8 prime lens for NEX cameras. Using a longer focal length will minimize possible barrel distortion.

3. KCook

KCook Well-Known Member

Using a longer focal length also reduces the DOF, increasing the blur. Folks who lack a lens with a fast aperture can simply choose a more telephoto focal length to get the blur.

If the effective focal length (same field of view), and F-stop are the same for two different cameras, then the camera with the larger sensor (physical size, not MP) will have less DOF and more blur. The NEX 6 has a considerably larger sensor than the RX100.

Kelly Cook

4. Starkisd

Starkisd New Member

Thank you for responding so quickly. Very informative.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.