1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.
  2. Due to platform maintenance, the forum will be inaccessible for about 10 minutes beginning about 2 p.m. Sorry for any inconvenience! We'll remove this notice when work is complete.

Best Depth of Field (Blur); Sony RX 100 or Sony NEW 6

Discussion in 'What Camera Should I Buy?' started by Starkisd, Aug 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Starkisd

Starkisd New Member

I like the size of the RX100, but the versatility of the NEX 6. I do enjoy taking pictures, where at times, the backgrounds are blurred and family members stand out in focus (usually from the waist up). Deciding between these 2 cameras, for those of you who have experience with these, which takes pictures with the shallowest/most depth of field (bokeh)? I would probably be using a Sony 35mm F 1.8 or similar fast prime lens for the shallow depth of field on the NEX. Thank you for your guidance.

2. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

For a shallow depth of field you need a lens with a wide aperture. The RX100 has a lens range starting at F/1.8 at the wide angle end and F/4.9 at the telephoto end. However if you try to shoot the RX100 at the wide angle /F/1.8 aperture you'll be so close to the subject that barrel distortion might result. So it's better to shoot with the NEX 6 using an f1.8 lens with a medium focal length, like the $300 Sony 50mm f/1.8 prime lens for NEX cameras. Using a longer focal length will minimize possible barrel distortion.

3. KCook

KCook Well-Known Member

Using a longer focal length also reduces the DOF, increasing the blur. Folks who lack a lens with a fast aperture can simply choose a more telephoto focal length to get the blur.

If the effective focal length (same field of view), and F-stop are the same for two different cameras, then the camera with the larger sensor (physical size, not MP) will have less DOF and more blur. The NEX 6 has a considerably larger sensor than the RX100.

Kelly Cook

4. Starkisd

Starkisd New Member

Thank you for responding so quickly. Very informative.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.