Best landscape lanes for a Pentax K5

Discussion in 'Pentax' started by ignatiusjk, Dec 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ignatiusjk

ignatiusjk Well-Known Member

I'm currently using the 18-55 lens and I'm very disapointed with the edge sharpness.Even at f22 the corners are still very soft.I'm looking at the Pentax 16-50mm lens but wanted some opinions before I spent $850.00 for a lens.What about the after market lens like Tamron etc.are they any good?

2. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

How about the Pentax 16-45mm f/4? It's an excellent lens with good sharpness throughout. It's not cheap, but not nearly as expensive as the Pentax 16-50mm f/2.8. The only issue with the 16-45mm is its f/4 aperture - too narrow for shooting in low light. But for shooting in bright light it's an excellent all-purpose, wide-angle zoom lens.

3. ignatiusjk

Tamron vs Pentax

I'm looking at getting either the Tamron 17-50mm lens or the Pentax 16-50mm lens.The price difference is huge so my real question is,is the Tamron as good or close to the Pentax 16-50mm lens? I don't want to buy the Tamron and end up wishing I bought the Pentax.I don't want to get stuck with two lens.I have a Pentax K5 camera.So what do you think???

4. Andy Stanton

The Pentax 16-50mm F/2.8 doesn't get great reviews, especially considering its cost. The Tamron isn't a perfect lens but it's apparently much better than the kit lens and significantly less expensive than the Pentax 16-50mm.

5. ignatiusjk

So what do you suggest?? The 17-55 kit lens is to soft in the corners even at f.22.How about Sigma lens.arethey any good.

6. Andy Stanton

How about the Sigma 18-250mm f3.5-6.3 DC MACRO HSM? Amazon has it on sale for $350.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.