Best one all purpose lense for the Nikon D5100?

Discussion in 'Nikon' started by Timothy, Apr 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Timothy

Timothy New Member

After much research, I have decided to purchase the D5100 body as my first DSL camera but am not sure what lense to buy. I will mostly be taking indoor shots but would like a little longer zoom capability for some outdoor pictures than the standard Nikon 18-55mm lense allows. I have been using a point-and-shoot camera that has a zoom of up to around 100/110mm which has been more than sufficient. Less zoom than this would be ok as well. Since my budget is limited, I thought it might be more cost effective to just buy the D5100 body and then buy a different (and possibly better quality) multipurpose lense with a slightly better zoom range which I would then use as my one and only permanent all purpose lense. Could anyone please give me some recommendations for a good quality lense? I really don't have any experience with this and am looking to keep this camera and lense combination as my only permanent camera for a long time to come.

Any suggestions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Best regards,
    Tim

2. surfdolfin

surfdolfin New Member

The 16-85mm is sharp and wide at 3.5 to 5.6. Only issue is if using the built-in flash, you might get some shadow at the lower 15% of the frame on wide angle (16-20mm). I usually just plan on cropping it out as I do not use external flash.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.