1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Best one all purpose lense for the Nikon D5100?

Discussion in 'Nikon' started by Timothy, Apr 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Timothy

Timothy New Member

After much research, I have decided to purchase the D5100 body as my first DSL camera but am not sure what lense to buy. I will mostly be taking indoor shots but would like a little longer zoom capability for some outdoor pictures than the standard Nikon 18-55mm lense allows. I have been using a point-and-shoot camera that has a zoom of up to around 100/110mm which has been more than sufficient. Less zoom than this would be ok as well. Since my budget is limited, I thought it might be more cost effective to just buy the D5100 body and then buy a different (and possibly better quality) multipurpose lense with a slightly better zoom range which I would then use as my one and only permanent all purpose lense. Could anyone please give me some recommendations for a good quality lense? I really don't have any experience with this and am looking to keep this camera and lense combination as my only permanent camera for a long time to come.

Any suggestions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Best regards,
    Tim

2. surfdolfin

surfdolfin New Member

The 16-85mm is sharp and wide at 3.5 to 5.6. Only issue is if using the built-in flash, you might get some shadow at the lower 15% of the frame on wide angle (16-20mm). I usually just plan on cropping it out as I do not use external flash.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.