Best prime lense for Nikon D40?

Discussion in 'Lenses and Accessories' started by electrogirl86, Jan 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. electrogirl86

electrogirl86 Active Member

I like my 18-55mm kit lens that came with my D40 but I'm looking to upgrade a bit. I've heard the Nikon 50mm f/1.8D is a great lens and very affordable too. But the only problem with it is it won't autofocus on my D40. I've never tried working with manual focus. Is it difficult to learn?

Will there be a lens like the 50mm f1.8D WITH autofocus built-in coming out anytime soon?
    If not, what is the best, sharpest, and highest quality prime lense I can get for an affordable price? How about one from Sigma or Tamron? Do they have any great prime lenses?

2. CalebSchmerge

CalebSchmerge Super Moderator/Reviewer News/Review Writer

I don't like buying non-Nikon glass, but thats just my preference, so if you want to go ahead.

I doubt Nikon is going to release a new 50mm f/1.8 soon. You can try manual focus with your D40 and kit lens, just flip the switch on the lens and see what happens. Rotate the front. Take some pictures, see if you are at all proficient with it.

I like my 55-200mm VR. Its a good range, and an excellent lens, especially for the money. I know it doesn't do the same as the 50mm (which is on my list as well), but its a good lens, and its fun to have a telephoto lens around.

3. AaronM

AaronM News/Review Writer News/Review Writer

Sigma is coming out with a 50mm f1.4 lens in the near term. It's got HSM across the board, so it will not have a problem with AF on the D40
    -a

4. David Rasnake

David Rasnake News/Review Writer News/Review Writer

From all indications, the new Sigma should be a good lens (maybe not up to legendary Nikon prime standards, but still good glass). I'd hold out for that if it were me.

dr

5. usapatriot

usapatriot Well-Known Member

Yup, I was about to mention that, the upcoming Sigma is probably your best bet for a nice prime for the D40.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.