Beteween 2 cameras

Discussion in 'What Camera Should I Buy?' started by Fladok, Mar 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fladok

Fladok Member

Hi everyone, first of all sory for my poor english (i'm from Argentine). Here digital cameras are too expensive, and a friend is travelling to Miami so i'll tell him to buy a camera for me.

After reading lot of reviews i'm between 2 Canons: PowerShot SD880 and PowerShot SD780.

I believe that the first one is a better camera, but what doens't convence me is te shape that it has, i don't know if it is comfortable when using it or to put it in my pocket. Please someone that has it or used it can tell me about it?

By the other hand i really love the styling of PowerShot SD780 but is really the noisy issue a problem?

Wich camera of those would you choose?

Thank you very much!
    Federico

2. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

I'd choose the SD880, but I don't like tiny cameras.

3. kaptain howdie

kaptain howdie Member

i recently aquired a 880. i love the fact that it is compact and very easy to use. the 3" display is great, but it lacks a viewfinder. there are so many pros and cons with these types of camera`s but it comes down to personal preference. can`t beat the price either...............

4. Fladok

Fladok Member

Thanks for the answers, i think i'll get 880 is. but what about Lumix DMC-TZ5? i read some reviews and apparently is as good as 880 is with some extra like more optical zoom, HD video or 25mm wide angle.

5. Andy Stanton

The Panasonic TZ5 and the new version, the ZS3, are excellent compact ultrazooms, with much more optical zoom than the SD880is, hd video and, in the case of the ZS3, a wider wide-angle. On the other hand, the Panasonics are larger and heavier than the SD880is. Picture quality is very good for both the Canon and the Panasonics.

6. Fladok

Fladok Member

Ok, i''m very confused now :( . my principal problem is that i can't hold the camera before buying it because i order it from argentina, and also can't return it if i don't like it. And here in Argentina i believe they haven't arrive this models...

The last models that arrived to Canon Argentina are Sd110, Sd790 and Sd 770 haha

7. Andy Stanton

In my opinion, the new Panasonic ZS3 (also called the TZ7) is a superb camera and one of the best point and shoot cameras out there. Even though it's about 225 grams, it will still fit in a pocket. The only problem is since it's new, the price is high. If you're willing to wait a month or two, the price will probably come down.

The older model, the Panasonic TZ5, is also a very good camera though not up to the level of the ZS3. It's also a little heavier than the ZS3. Right now it can be bought for about the same price as the Canon SD880is. Unless you need the 10x zoom of the TZ5, the smaller Canon SD880is might be the better camera.

8. Fladok

Fladok Member

thanks Andy por the suggestions, today called me my friend, he told me he went to a mall and asked for both cameras. They told him 880 is discontinous and it can only be bought on internet. And 780 hasn't yet arrived and also only can be bought on internet. Why if 880is is such a good camera they discontinous the model?

9. Andy Stanton

Camera models are discontinued all the time, whether they are good or bad products. It's all about marketing - what the company thinks will make them the most money.

If you really want an SD880is you can buy it online.

10. KCook

KCook Well-Known Member

This is a difficulty right now, as stocks of last year's cameras are drying up, while not all of the '09 models are in the stores yet. Of the "big box" store chains in the US, your best bet for a good selection is Frys Electronics -

http://shop1.frys.com/ac/storelocator/index.jsp

Kelly Cook

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.