Brand Newbie Here - Just a few questions

Discussion in 'What Camera Should I Buy?' started by shazrules, Mar 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shazrules

shazrules New Member

Hi everyone,

Thanks heaven's I've found you all!

My sweet husband has purchased me an Olympus 520e digital SLR in preparation for our trip to Townsville in 8 days :)

I'm from the point and shoot automatic camera background but have always wanted an SLR. Now I have one and I'm wondering:-

* What do I drastically need to learn before we go away so that I get a few good shots?

* Is there anything I should buy that will make my life easier? I have 2 lenses which came with the camera.

* what's your best advice for a novice SLR owner?

Many thanks!

Sharon

2. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

A DSLR is more complicated than a point and shoot and the Olympus E520 has many different options available - far too many for you to learn well in a few days. My advice is to keep the camera on auto and don't change lenses. There will be time enough to learn how to best use your camera after the trip is over.

3. kaptain howdie

kaptain howdie Member

run down to your local bookstore and see if they have a "digital field guide" for your olympus. its a step up from the instruction manual and has some great over views on how to set your camera.

also try camera labs web site that gives great shooting tips for many conditions

4. shazrules

shazrules New Member

Re: Brand Newbie Here - Update

Just a follow up on this post, the trip to Townsville was duly photographed and I am VERY impressed with the Olympus 520e. The battery life is amazing - I only had to charge it once on the 2 week trip and it got some pretty heavy use, the photo quality is fantastic. Because we had a lot of driving to do a lot of photos were taken at 110km/h out of the passenger window and in all honesty they look like I'd been standing still and framing the shots.

One thing I have developed though, is Zoom Envy. The zoom lens that came with the camera is pretty good but I do a fair bit of shooting of the kids racing round an outdoor go-kart track and want to know what's the next step up to get a good zoom lens that gets me closer than the 40 - 150 zoom which I have?

Thanks again!

5. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

How about the Olympus 90-250mm f/2.8? It has a list price of $6,999.99 but you can get it on sale for only $5,199!

On the off chance the above Olympus lens is a bit over your budget :), you could consider the 55-200mm f/4.0-5.6 Sigma for about $150. It will increase your lens range from 300 to 400mm (35mm equivalent). Unless you're prepared to pay big bucks, that's about the best you'll be able to do.

6. shazrules

shazrules New Member

Phew! :p You had me worried there!!

I will definitely be asking (read - begging :) ) for the $150 lens for Christmas.

The more expensive one? Well, lets just say if I win Tattslotto, it will be at the top of the list.

Cheers and thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.