Buy Canon PowerShot SX100IS or Panasonic Lumix FZ8?

Discussion in 'What Camera Should I Buy?' started by Borno, Dec 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Borno

Borno Member

I have narrowed it down between these two cameras and I cannot decide between them. I am really having trouble deciding.

This camera would be used as an all purpose family camera with an emphasis on taking pictures of an infant/child.

What is the major differences between the two cameras as far as picture quality? Which one do you like better and why? Which one is built better?

Thanks for any help!

2. Ben Stafford

Ben Stafford Site Admin

In your case, I'd probably lean toward the FZ8, mainly for the speed of the flash. The Canon, while still quick overall, has a much slower flash recharge time.

The Canon is definitely more compact and I would say that the FZ8 is a bit more durable.

3. Borno

Borno Member

First, Thanks for the response, Ben.

My main concern about the Panasonic FZ8 is some of the compaints I have read about suspect picture quality. I have also read that the picture quality on the Canon SX100IS is very good?

Picture quality is, by far, the most important feature for us (wife and I). We have a baby coming; hence, the new camera purchase.

We have an old digital camera (3 yr old Sony Cyber-shot DSC-P8) that often produces blurry pictures.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2007
  4. Ben Stafford

Ben Stafford Site Admin

I typically do prefer Canon image quality, and yes, I've seen people talking about "softness" of the FZ8 images. Probably the best way to compare is to just look at sample images in all the reviews that you can find.

The one downside that I see to the Canon for you is the flash recharge time. It can take up to 8-10 seconds for the flash to recharge, but if you can wait, then it's probably the way to go.

5. stuman74

stuman74 Member

I just got a SX100 IS on Sunday and have been very happy with it. Yes, the flash recharge is about 7-8 seconds, but for me, not a big deal and the picture quality has been great.

6. Borno

Borno Member

How does the SX100IS feel as far as quality? Does it feel kind of cheap plastic or sturdy?

Any FZ8 users? Have you been with the picture quality?

7. stuman74

stuman74 Member

I think it feels pretty solid. It's not creaky or anything. I was initially concerned about the flip up flash but after seeing it in person it's pretty solid as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.