Camera for an aspiring zoologist

Discussion in 'What Camera Should I Buy?' started by hriemer39, Nov 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hriemer39

hriemer39 Member

Re: Which camera should I buy FAQ (Please read before posting)

I'm not sure if this thread is still active but I could use some help with choosing a camera!

The most I would like to pay is $800 but could stretch it out if the camera is worth it.
    The size doesn't really matter.
    I'm thinking a standard zoom should suffice.
    On a scale of 1-10 image quality would probably be 8 or 9.
    I would like to have the manual options on it (pretty important)
    I am going to school to be a zoologist and would like to be able to take nice pictures when I'm working out in the field. So, I will be mostly shooting outdoors.
    I will need a camera that I can take good action shots on since animal don't always like to stop and smile for the camera :)
    I don't have any brands that I prefer. Right now I'm using my fathers old chinon cs slr and I love it but I would like a more modern digital one.
    Thanks in advance for the help!

Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2015
  2. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

There are several nice digital SLR's that are within your price range (including a 3x optical zoom lens).
    Canon has the Rebel T2i and T1i.
    Nikon has the D5000 and D3100.
    Sony has the SLT-A55 and A33.
    Pentax has the K-R and K-X.
    Panasonic has the G2 and G10.

In all of the above situations, the first-named camera is a bit more expensive and has some extra features, but the second-named camera is very similar and, in most ways, just as good.

3. KCook

KCook Well-Known Member

The usual 3X is 18-55mm, which tops out at 88mm in olde 35mm SLR speake. You may want more telephoto than that for critters. Which means either a 2 lens "kit", or substituting a super zoom for the usual 3X zoom. If you like to browse, here are more threads -

http://forum.digitalcamerareview.com/what-camera-should-i-buy/15083-canon-xsi-canon-t1i.html

http://forum.digitalcamerareview.co...i-buy/15229-should-i-upgrade-canon-rebel.html

http://forum.digitalcamerareview.com/what-camera-should-i-buy/16349-looking-new-camera.html

http://forum.digitalcamerareview.co...6893-wanted-plenty-zoom-no-changing-lens.html

Kelly Cook

4. hriemer39

hriemer39 Member

thanks for the suggestions. After some research I'm leaning towards the Nikon D5000.

5. KCook

KCook Well-Known Member

Of course the Nikon brand is very popular. The Nikon lens mount, and lenses too for that matter, are a bit different from other brands. If you are super fussy about lens design compare to Canon, Pentax, Sony lenses. I like some Nikon lenses, but not their standard 18-55. Color me weird.

The Nikon D5000 is feature packed, for a small frame DSLR. A used D90 is bigger, more professional, about the same $$ as a new D5000. The newly issued D3100 is an update of many of the D5000 features, worth a look.

Kelly

6. hriemer39

hriemer39 Member

What about the D80? Someone in my area is selling one for $500 and it's in great shape. Any advice on this one? From what I've read it's a great camera and $500 seems like a very reasonable price.

7. Paul79UF

Paul79UF Member

You can't go wrong with either an older Canon or Nikon DSLR with the kit lens (18-55mm) for close up stuff and a cheap 70-300mm zoom.

8. KCook

KCook Well-Known Member

The D80 was a success for Nikon. But I'm not blown away by $500 USD. I have found D5000 refurbs (body only) for the same. And completely new D3100 with 18-55 for $650. While those prices are a tic higher than your D80, the cameras are improvements that are well worthwhile in my view.

Kelly

9. hriemer39

hriemer39 Member

So, just throwing it out there since a friend of mine is selling it. He has a Canon D20 that he wants $350.00 for.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.