Camera newbie seeks repair help

Discussion in 'Kodak (Eastman Kodak)' started by jbmail, Dec 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jbmail

jbmail New Member

Happy holiday to everyone.

My first posting here and I need expert advice

Purchased an overstock z712 IS from my credit card company/bank promo for $239? roughly in 2008, Brand new in Box

I gave it to my wife as a birthday present in late 2008, had problems with defective batteries never getting past 40-50 pictures, finally bought Kidak top batteries that only needed charging every 150+ pics or so when we went to ukraine, worked fine, but saw fine lines in LCD display appearing after 200-300 shots.

Problem 1: Somewhere in 2010 ( Feb), the camera LCD screen went. I can only see a triangle part on the lower bottom about 1/2" up from bottom of what I am trying to shoot. I can use the regular viewfinder and all works just as well, but who wants to? Rest of camera seems to fuction fine

Since I was and am out of warranty, my wife tells me we have a few options, according to her web reading:

Buy a new 2.5" ? LCD screen ( or maybe its a circuit board)and replace this ourselves if possible? I can't seem to find a decent price on one and wonder whether this is easy to replace, since I build computers for a living?

Pay Kodak or other repair service $90.00 to ship back to me fixed

Just upgrade to a newer and better model for under $250???

The wife really is used to this camera and loves it, but I am at the point of dumping it if its going to cost 1/2 of what it would cost to repair..Agreed?

Any ideas or options would be appreciated

JB

2. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

Upgrade to a newer model. The Kodak Z981 is the newest model of your camera. It has an ultra-long 26x optical zoom and shoots HD movies. It's available at several reputable online retailers for under $200.

3. jbmail

jbmail New Member

Andy,

I have to agree with you 100%

The wife was told that she could buy a LCD screen for $35 and its a cinch to replace and we'd be back in business, but I know how these things go. Yes, if it was that easy, I'd order it today, but I'm with you unless someone convinces me differently

Thanks for the quick reply

Happy Holidays

JB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.